• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2022

The severe weather season for year 2022 will be?

• Above Average

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Average

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Earlier tornado near Tipp City, Ohio. New tornado warning SE of Wilmington.

Now that I'm finally reading the article, this resembles @locomusic01 's description of the first tornado of 5/31/85 near Hopeness, ON.

He peered out the window just in time to see a “vicious-looking” white funnel come into view through the trees. Tall and slim and barely 80 yards wide at its base, the needle-like whirl glinted and shimmered in the front-lighting of the midday sun.

OHWX97

Reaction score
Today was NOT fun. One of my best friends works at the Meijer distribution warehouse that partially collapsed in Tipp City and I couldn’t reach him for a while there. I really thought he was hurt or worse, but I just reached him and he’s shaken up but alright. Said it was the loudest, scariest experience of his life.

Gonna have a lot of damage paths to survey in my area in the coming days.
I’m glad to hear your friend is okay. That was a mean looking tornado judging by the signature on TDWR. Also have you or anybody else heard about damage reports near Springfield? Still seemed to be producing a tornado near the city.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I’m glad to hear your friend is okay. That was a mean looking tornado judging by the signature on TDWR. Also have you or anybody else heard about damage reports near Springfield? Still seemed to be producing a tornado near the city.
I’m glad he’s alright too! He got sideswiped by the Beavercreek EF3 from Memorial Day 2019, so he can’t believe he’s had yet another close call.

But yeah that Springfield cell looked like it had a significant tornado down at one point, with a TDS and strong couplet. Haven’t heard about any major damage up that way though. It may have just hit fields and trees.
D65A886F-3065-4F4F-9BB6-025AB0AFC04E.png13B40B7F-BCB1-4761-9CA4-2E29E6B2DCDF.jpeg

buckeye05

Reaction score
So I'm looking at photos of the Meijer warehouse damage in Tipp City, and I have to say, its possible they don't go higher than EF1. It looks bad, but it appears that one concrete panel wall was pushed inward and collapsed, while the rest of the warehouse did not appear to be structurally compromised, including most of the roof. May be a case of wide, flat surface area with a lack of reinforcements "catching" the wind, rather than a strong tornado.

If I can get access, I'll try to take a look in person tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, all things considered, yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought it could be with that large area of clearing across IN/OH/northern KY. I was thinking it might turn out to be one of those scenarios where we end up with a surprise (relative to the SWODY1 category) long-track high-end EF3 along with a couple additional strong tornadoes (like 4/20/2004 in Illinois, 8/18/2005 in Wisconsin, or 8/24/2016 in IN/OH).

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This morning, again, Ryan Beesley on Fox 5 said the GFS was indicating an MCS type system through north Georgia on Tuesday and also even Wednesday.
Does it look like it will reach the Seneca/Walhalla SC area? Going to be working down there the next few days.

Phil

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The strong convective complex currently in South Dakota will continue to progress east overnight and then southeastward around the ridge tomorrow when it gets to the Great Lakes region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back