• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I am finally getting a chance to catch up on Thursday. I keep thinking the NAM us up to its normal antics but the euro has my eye as well. One thing for sure, this one is different than the last.

Last edited:

MQATLSNOW

Reaction score
I am finally getting a chance to catch up on Thursday. I keep thinking the NAM us up to its normal antics but the global models but euro has my eye as well. One thing for sure, this one is different than the last.
No wedge to be found and stronger LLJ spells alot of trouble! Let see how this plays out!

Whyrob1998

Reaction score
m still getting into this but it looks more robust. I'll bet there will be another High-risk with this one.. STP 4-5 in spots, still day 3 so much to iron out but that's higher than last week. But also a late evening overnight risk for Alabama?? looks like all the action will be southern Central MS will be during the day

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1616512016050.png

The ARW has a morning MCS, but it is already moving across north AL at daybreak with capping building in behind it. It is also the only CAM that goes out this far that has anything remotely close to that. The rest have a northeastward moving batch of showers.

It moves from dead central MS to there in three hours. Extrapolating out that forward motion, if it didn't slow down, it would be clear of all of Alabama and middle TN by 15z with capping moving in behind it.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
This event is again giving me knots in my stomach out of fear. Models are depicting a much more dynamic system than what we had on March 17th, while maintaining similar kinematics. To see model consensus on quite a large area of 50+ kt flow as early as 18z is extremely concerning. To see that flow gradually increase to over 60 kts by 00z is just plain out scary. Not surprised at all at the models depicting a messy scenario on reflectivity. The CAM's have always had issues with properly resolving convection in moist environments such as this one.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
This event is again giving me knots in my stomach out of fear. Models are depicting a much more dynamic system than what we had on March 17th, while maintaining similar kinematics. To see model consensus on quite a large area of 50+ kt flow as early as 18z is extremely concerning. To see that flow gradually increase to over 60 kts by 00z is just plain out scary. Not surprised at all at the models depicting a messy scenario on reflectivity. The CAM's have always had issues with properly resolving convection in moist environments such as this one.
I've seen a lot of talk about how the lower-level lapse rates are bad but it's just common in these moist environments. I've seen countless examples of Dixie supercells surrounded by rain produce intense - violent tornadoes before. Given the dynamics we have at play, going back to the convection resolving issue, anything that forms is going to go supercellular very quickly.

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of talk about how the lower-level lapse rates are bad but it's just common in these moist environments. I've seen countless examples of Dixie supercells surrounded by rain produce intense - violent tornadoes before. Given the dynamics we have at play, going back to the convection resolving issue, anything that forms is going to go supercellular very quickly.

One such example that stands out in my mind is the one that produced the killer EF3 in southern Tennesee on April 28, 2014.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
GFS trend is definitely toward a much larger spatial extent, this is not trending in a pleasant direction

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I went ahead and added the Severe weather Tag. Get the word out everyone. While we hope and pray for the safety of everyone, we just never know how these things are really going to turn out. But by all appearances, this looks like a rough day on Thursday. Stay #Weatheraware everyone.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
12z GFS coming in with a deeper wave, clearing in the low/mid levels during the morning, and more northward extent to the warm sector. That’s a problem.
The GFS has been the most truncated with the warm sector the whole time and now gets 70/65 and 800+ SBCAPE to Nashville. That says everything...

Back