• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
And to put the NAM/3km NAM into perspective, compared the all the other models, it is slightly less organized with the trough and low pressure. Despite what the NAM package shows (a higher-end threat), it is on the less bullish side of the possible solutions.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Correct, quite the discrepancy between nam and euro for example.
HRRR is kinematically in the Euro/etc camp. Even the latest GFS now has a 990mb low over south IL Thursday evening that deepens into the 980s as it moves into IN. I am getting the idea more and more that this is one of those cases where the NAM is doing its classic thing of stringing out shortwave energy. The fact that it still promotes what it does is pretty eye opening. Still, I'm waiting to see the 00z models tonight before we change our L-bar and graphics backgrounds to red at the station. :p

Reaction score
Someone said on another forum that this will be another positively tilted, closed low scenario (like last Wednesday, and thus prone to many of the same potential limiting factors/failure modes). However, looking at the 500mb chart from today's 12Z GFS, I see a big open trough with a slightly negatively tilted shortwave rolling through it (look at the 549 to 558 dam lines from NC KS to NE TX). Either I'm missing something or they are.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-23 Models GFS — Pivotal Weather.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-23 Models GFS — Pivotal Weather.png
    740.7 KB · Views: 0

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Someone said on another forum that this will be another positively tilted, closed low scenario (like last Wednesday, and thus prone to many of the same potential limiting factors/failure modes). However, looking at the 500mb chart from today's 12Z GFS, I see a big open trough with a slightly negatively tilted shortwave rolling through it (look at the 549 to 558 dam lines from NC KS to NE TX). Either I'm missing something or they are.
You are... You're missing having your head up your donkey like where they have theirs firmly placed.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
BMX hinting at a significant event (last sentence) with their latest afd:
They’ve added this for Wednesday night through Thursday:

.LONG TERM...
/Updated at 0250 PM CDT Tue Mar 23 2021/

Wednesday night and Thursday.

Models are in good agreement with showers and thunderstorms
increasing from south to north Wednesday night as an upper warm
front lifts northward. Localized heavy rainfall possible across
areas north of I-20 Wednesday night. Expect most of the rain
associated with the warm front will be north of central Alabama by
sunrise Thursday. A relative lull in showers and thunderstorms
Thursday morning will allow for surface temperatures to warm and
instability to increase. With surface dewpoints in the middle to
upper 60s, surface based CAPE will likely rise to 1500-2000 J/kg
Thursday afternoon, especially across the western counties. High
0-6km bulk shear and strong low level veering will be favorable
for tornadoes. Highest threat area will reside along and west of
the I-20/59 corridor. Models weaken forcing and low level shear
quickly Thursday evening and expect severe threat to be greatly
diminished by 10 pm. For this reason, will lower severe threat for
areas east of I-65.

58/rose

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Fred but what about the meteorology behind it? Am I accurate in discerning the shortwave axis there?
It's a low amplitude, negative tilt, fully open shortwave trough. I don't see how anybody could possibly say any differently. Even the NAM solution that's a touch more strung out than the others is an open shortwave, not a closed upper low.

Clancy

Reaction score
Models sure are showing some wild things for Thursday. Hope everyone can get the word of this event (without blowing it off because of perceptions of last week) and have time to prepare.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
I cannot be the only person who is noticing how the models are uptrending on the intensity of the surface low, which was literally nonexistent on some of those CAM's yesterday. This is going to be another major issue due to a more organized surface low favoring more OWS development.

Reaction score
18Z GFS holds serve with the same general 500mb look as 12Z. Additionally, there appears to be a splitting jet at 300mb. If I understand it correctly, this serves to enhance upper-level divergence/vertical motion?

Attachments

• 202103231800_500wnd_51.png
    202103231800_500wnd_51.png
    742.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 202103231800_300wnd_51_crop.png
    202103231800_300wnd_51_crop.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 0

Keldeo

Reaction score
ExMW8vIVcAAT_Hb

STPs are crazy on the HRRR

andyhb

Reaction score
A reminder that the wxbell calculation of STP is off due to improper input parameters, it is usually far higher than outputs on any other site.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Southern MS/AL could also have some major flooding issues by the end of this, there are some pretty massive rainfall totals down there.

KevinH

Reaction score
To me, Northern/Central Alabama and Mississippi always seem to get the worst of storms. Not just for the past week, but overall. I live in Columbus, Georgia and we do NOT get the kind of storms and threats these parts of Dixie Alley do (yes, I am going to still call Dixie Alley, DIXIE ALLEY. Screw The Weather Channel and Byron Allen).

On Twitter, I suggested that N AL and MS *SPECIFICALLY* have a nickname of their own to distinguish them from the rest of Dixie: #AlabamaAlley

I mean, I am JUST saying *shrug*

Back