• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

The Nino

Reaction score
Another re-join here (I think). I was a member of a TalkWeather forum in the late '90s, possibly early 2000s. I believe it was from James Spann at his television station in Birmingham. Is this the same forum?

Anyway, looking forward following the upcoming severe weather outbreak. Governor Ivey has already declared a state of emergency for Alabama.
wow OG poster. I was one of those guys as well. Been here for a LONG time.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The subtlety of the lift is pretty concerning, allowing things to perhaps stay cellular in that round

MadisonDawg

Reaction score
Gymie, I don't even remember what my username was back then. :) It was a lot of fun then, but the quality/background of posters now seems to have improved by an order of magnitude.

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Gymie, I don't even remember what my username was back then. :) It was a lot of fun then, but the quality/background of posters now seems to have improved by an order of magnitude.
LOL - I have read the forum since way back then as well. I don't post much but always check the commentary. If you have never seen the archived thread from 4/27/11 here, it is legendary. And I can't be the only one who remembers the young kid who posted all the time about snow back in the 90's. Was it Sean? LOL. Just think, he's pushing middle age now!

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Without drifting too far off topic, the posters now are mostly the same as the posters back then - they're just meteorologists instead of know-it-all teenagers. ;)

MadisonDawg

Reaction score
Marooned, I was going to say the same thing. Many have gone to MSU to become meteorologists. The posters have matured and become more educated. Me - still the same as I was back then, educationally. Just a retired engineer now.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Trend has been for a weaker CAD across North Georgia Thursday morning last few runs of the NAM. Up 4-6 degrees by 5AM than it was showing this morning.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised, certainly not the best CAD setup I've ever seen. Worried about the boundary that sets up over North GA, though. HRRR seems to have a storm running along it early Thursday morning.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
First time the 90 contour has shown up on SREF's sigtor. This is a fairly large area as well.

*IMAGE REMOVED*
Where did you get this from? I've looked up SPC's SREF, but the display never looks like this.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Another re-join here (I think). I was a member of a TalkWeather forum in the late '90s, possibly early 2000s. I believe it was from James Spann at his television station in Birmingham. Is this the same forum?

Anyway, looking forward following the upcoming severe weather outbreak. Governor Ivey has already declared a state of emergency for Alabama.

Welcome back! Yep, same forum. It was started by James Spann at ABC 33/40 and then became it's own forum. I've been here (and there) since 2002.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Flooding May end up being a big part of this storm as well. There are areas between Montgomery and Hattiesburg have been getting dumped on for about 12hrs now.

WxSnowFan47

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
LOL - I have read the forum since way back then as well. I don't post much but always check the commentary. If you have never seen the archived thread from 4/27/11 here, it is legendary. And I can't be the only one who remembers the young kid who posted all the time about snow back in the 90's. Was it Sean? LOL. Just think, he's pushing middle age now!
I have been summoned! I'm not that old, yet. ;)

Keeping an eye on this down here in the Southeast part of Alabama. Wishing the best to all the forecasters, storm chasers, emergency responders, and everyone in the path of these storms.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Forum reunion, pretty cool. Wish I'd had internet access back in those days lol

Might have to get some stuff done in the morning but hopefully can be back by noon to watch things from west of Jasper... got a bad feeling about this one

WxSnowFan47

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Are you really?? That is too funny!
Indeed. Sorry for the fake snowcasts from the "SEWS" that me and my old friend made. Makes a funny story to tell the meteorologists I've worked with though. ;)

Dothan City Schools (Houston County in Southeast Alabama) says they'll keep schools on normal schedule Wednesday and evaluate for Thursday.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, Gov. Ivey has declared a state of Emergency for all 67 Alabama counties starting at 6pm.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Marooned, I was going to say the same thing. Many have gone to MSU to become meteorologists. The posters have matured and become more educated. Me - still the same as I was back then, educationally. Just a retired engineer now.
I was 13 when I joined the forum. I’m 32 now. I grew up a little bit lol

Back