• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I see I didn’t miss too much today lol. Glad there haven’t been any fatalities. Looks like some pretty intense damage did occur in Chilton County, AL though.

Outbreak isn’t over until late tomorrow night into the morning after, however. Sometimes the east coast, “day 2” portion of a Dixie outbreak is more potent than expected. We’ll just have to see.
That was certainly the case for e.g. 4/16/11.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I believe three problems kept this from being a lot worse.
1. timing. The squall line was suppose to move through Birmingham around 2 am and it’s coming through around 9:30
2, a lot more storms popped up today and earlier than expected, so the atmosphere didn’t get as juiced as it could have.
3. the low level jet didn’t come in on time since the storms were way ahead of schedule.

Still a very bad day, but we are fortunate and it could of been much worse. It’s still not over, but I’m happy that it wasn’t as bad as expected for most.
The spring is still young. I fear that we will get hammered in a couple of weeks when we aren't prepared/expecting it. But my birds will like going back into their normal cages instead of in the small ones with which we shelter inside the hall closet.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Interesting.....TWC just remarked about how the "wedge" seems to protect Atlanta from many of the tornadoes that hit Birmingham.

Clancy

Reaction score
HRRR is still showing some nasty stuff developing near the AL/GA border, so I definitely wouldn't count those areas out for some nighttime tornadoes.

Jacob

Reaction score
I think two things can be true at once about today. It wasn't a full on bust, but it clearly didn't live up to expectations. Seeing as I've been watching from 3 states away while all my family is in the Trussville area, I'm quite relieved that everybody looks like they'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

sak

Reaction score
Does that really try and form a bunch of new isolated storms west of the current QLCS back in eastern MS? I'll be absolutely stunned if that happens.

I see no reason to keep a tornado watch posted anywhere northwest of I-59 at this point from New Orleans all the way to Chattanooga. I guess if the HRRR verifies then maybe...?

Clancy

Reaction score
Does that really try and form a bunch of new isolated storms west of the current QLCS? I'll be absolutely stunned if that happens.

I see no reason to keep a tornado watch posted anywhere northwest of I-59 at this point from New Orleans all the way to Chattanooga. I guess if the HRRR verifies then maybe...?
Seemed like SPC was using HRRR as a reference for some of their guidance. Also, yes, in the last several runs it has formed cells with some pretty notable UH streaks. Not saying that will happen, obviously, just noting it.

pscampbe

Reaction score
Longtime lurker here; been monitoring all day. I can report that the warm front finally made it north of the Shoals area. At 6 PM, our temp was 60 deg. As the line passed through, it peaked at 79 deg at 8:43 PM. At 9:35, it is 71 deg.

speedbump305

Reaction score
I’m gonna go to bed. I’ll check on the warnings tomorrow. i’m sure we will get some insane damage photos tomorrow and insane radar images. tomorrow the outbreak continues

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Does anyone think there is truly a chance of storms developing behind the QLCS? I mean, I just read a post by one local met that said the risk is over once the QLCS passes your location. NWS is also clearing counties west of the QLCS from the watch.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Does anyone think there is truly a chance of storms developing behind the QLCS? I mean, I just read a post by one local met that said the risk is over once the QLCS passes your location.
The Birmingham NWS has canceled the TW just west of I-65. I think we will have more threat than expected, but from heavy rain.

Back