• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

Jacob

Reaction score
Also, pretty impressive signature on the storm SW of Clanton (how many times could this line have been typed today?) from MXX.

Evan

Reaction score
Really a race against time to sync up with the best of the LLJ.

Reaction score
I must say I'm rather baffled by the failure of the cellular storms that were ahead of the line earlier around the Laurel-Mt. Olive, MS area. I expected at least a couple of monster supercells to evolve out of that activity and become our source of families of long-track EF3+ continuing well into the night across Alabama.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Teeny tiny couplet between Glen Allen and Winfield, very transient but things ramping up and down like that is one of the main reason I hate QLCS setups

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Just saw this. Experienced people know about the dangers of overnight storms, but for everybody else:

No joke. This happens two, three fours after you let yourself relax cuz things are quiet and go to sleep -- especially after the day's events have given you warning fatigue. Heckuva way to be woken up.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I will definitely say the Mississippi portion of the event busted HARD. Not the whole event, though the activity was far more concentrated than expected.

sak

Reaction score
I must say I'm rather baffled by the failure of the cellular storms that were ahead of the line earlier around the Laurel-Mt. Olive, MS area. I expected at least a couple of monster supercells to evolve out of that activity and become our source of families of long-track EF3+ continuing well into the night across Alabama.
there were too many of them. they just kinda all ran together and formed junk convection.

Evan

Reaction score

I've heard a couple of people say VBV.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Storm mode is definitely the downfall of most Dixie events that fail to live up to their potential. Whether the warm sector gets junked up or things go immediately upscale, it's quite rare to have a nice clean supercellular setup here. Even 4/15/11 and 4/28/14 had very messy storm mode.

Back