• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

sak

Reaction score
I have seen lines like this in this kind of setup have very bad outcomes.
Really? I'm looking at it the radar across eastern MS and west central AL and am having a hard time envisioning a really bad outcome, especially given how worked over north and central AL are from prior rainfall and a general lack of instability.

Reaction score
Surprised there's not a warning on the cell just NE of Selma - looks like there's decent rotation and a hail core starting to put itself together. Well ahead of the line and isolated; could be the storm to watch.

MikeP

Reaction score
Storms look to be breaking out ahead of the main line as well. Getting pretty breezy in my backyard. LLJ I'm assuming is finally doing what was modeled....

Evan

Reaction score
That tor war just issued suggests bmx is looking at the hrrr for short term warning guidance

Because of the track of that previous UH streak on the 23z?

sak

Reaction score
Storms look to be breaking out ahead of the main line as well. Getting pretty breezy in my backyard. LLJ I'm assuming is finally doing what was modeled....
Hasn't the modeling been pretty good for this event? A little more junk convection than expected which has probably greatly limited the overall impact of the event, but really, the modeling showed a lot of scattered storms ahead of a QLCS and that's pretty much exactly what we've gotten...?

Evan

Reaction score
Really? I'm looking at it the radar across eastern MS and west central AL and am having a hard time envisioning a really bad outcome, especially given how worked over north and central AL are from prior rainfall and a general lack of instability.

Instability is marginal but sufficient and it was always projected to be on the lower end by this point in time. It's the LLJ kicking in that is the concern.

Evan

Reaction score
Dunno why that area west of Red Bay isn't getting a TOR.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Getting a pretty intense storm here now. Lightning is constant. I'm a little worried about the area west of Red Bay Evan mentioned earlier.

Jacob

Reaction score
Two interesting spots in the line in Tuscaloosa. Wouldn't surprise me if either spit out a small tornado, though based on current radar they'd be brief and small.

Back