• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Does anyone think there is truly a chance of storms developing behind the QLCS? I mean, I just read a post by one local met that said the risk is over once the QLCS passes your location.
The possibility for storms early in the morning I would think still exists. There are thunderstorms in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma that are heading SSE into Arkansas, and Mississippi and Alabama could see those in the early morning hours.

sak

Reaction score
Does anyone think there is truly a chance of storms developing behind the QLCS? I mean, I just read a post by one local met that said the risk is over once the QLCS passes your location. NWS is also clearing counties west of the QLCS from the watch.
I'd be stunned if anything of note forms behind the back edge of the QLCS, even though the HRRR keeps hinting at it.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well, I'm gonna call it a night soon, could still be some action near the GA line but for now looks like the event is mostly behaving. Brother near Hanceville says a big tree branch fell on his roof and the yard is flooded, so still some wind out there and enough shear to spit out some isolated tornadoes. Plenty of time to discuss what kept it from reaching anywhere near its potential later but I for one am happy it underperformed, though wish some of this rain could've waited until summer when we actually need it

Stay safe y'all

spppp.jpg

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KM4JKH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'd be stunned if anything of note forms behind the back edge of the QLCS, even though the HRRR keeps hinting at it.
Don't know if they will grow to anything, but small cells are forming back in MS (West of Florence AL and extending down toward Winona MS).

Mr. Clark

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm giving in and going to bed. Looks like the worst is over here in Madison except for some heavy rain.

Thanks to all of you for your updates. I don't know much about severe weather, but I learn more every time I follow an outbreak here.

Evan

Reaction score
Longtime lurker here; been monitoring all day. I can report that the warm front finally made it north of the Shoals area. At 6 PM, our temp was 60 deg. As the line passed through, it peaked at 79 deg at 8:43 PM. At 9:35, it is 71 deg.

Something might be wrong with your thermometer. What kind of weather station do you have? All the reputable observations I see in the Shoals are between 61-64 degrees.

Evan

Reaction score
What do you mean by that?

That it's possible the LLJ catches up with the line over Eastern AL/W. Georgia which would increase the threat of embedded TORs in the line and/or enhance the wind threat in the line.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well, I'm gonna call it a night soon, could still be some action near the GA line but for now looks like the event is mostly behaving. Brother near Hanceville says a big tree branch fell on his roof and the yard is flooded, so still some wind out there and enough shear to spit out some isolated tornadoes. Plenty of time to discuss what kept it from reaching anywhere near its potential later but I for one am happy it underperformed, though wish some of this rain could've waited until summer when we actually need it

Stay safe y'all

View attachment 7148
Spann is the man.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Something might be wrong with your thermometer. What kind of weather station do you have? All the reputable observations I see in the Shoals are between 61-64 degrees.
All three of my stations are showing 62.

Logo 468x120
Back