• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
first big lightning strike IMBY (Providence area of Huntsville) about 10 minutes ago. Shook the building.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Could the storm mode be a bit messier than expected because the latest HRRR/NAM show a more positively tilted trough vs. earlier runs?

I am just pondering aloud as to just what could hopefully limit the potential of this event.
actual soundings show a stronger cap than modeled, this should suppress a bit more

The Nino

Reaction score
does anyone have map of current warm front placement. I know its fairly easy to pick up on radar but curious still.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

Kory

Reaction score
But could the weaker, more positively tilted trough on the latest HRRR/NAM runs reduce the potential for numerous discrete long-trackers?*

*At least before sunset
A positively tilted trough is what favors isolated convection due to subtle forcing over the warm sector versus a negative tilt trough with a lot of forcing.

Reaction score
One thing I'm noticing is a relative lack of analogs on the 12Z NAM forecast soundings valid for 21Z and 00Z (Thursday). Most of them show "No Quality Matches." @Fred Gossage , what if anything is the significance of that?

Among the few notable ones that I can find are:

11/15/1987 at KGGG (East Texas Regional Airport): Tornadoes caused 10 fatalities in Texas that day.
5/30/2004 at KIND: Numerous tornadoes in Indiana, F2 hit Indianapolis itself.

These appear on forecast soundings from both the "regular" and "nest" or 3KM NAMs.

Reaction score
A positively tilted trough is what favors isolated convection due to subtle forcing over the warm sector versus a negative tilt trough with a lot of forcing.
I thought so. Anyway, I would like to amend my earlier post: the vortex is actually deeper on the latest runs, hence stronger wind fields.

Kory

Reaction score
After looking at the 12z WRF suite and 13z HRRR, make sure there is a way to get warnings and you respond quickly to them. They are flat out ugly.

The Nino

Reaction score
What is the latest thoughts on the Huntsville area? Looks like all the models have the wedge holding out over NE Alabama. Hope that holds.

Jpgood97

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Are we seeing more lingering convection this morning is N AL and southern TN than what was forecasted, or are we still on par with forecasted model guidance?

sak

Reaction score
seems like the wedge progressed a bit further west than expected. i realize it is still forecasted to lift out of the birmingham metro, but really seems that unless it starts hauling butt, the threat will be diminished for places like atlanta, chattanooga, and rome, ga. maybe even as far SW as places like gadsden, alabama

i know there could be a sharp cutoff of severe weather parameters. here’s to hoping it is 50 miles further southwest than was suggested yesterday.

Back