• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

LP98

Reaction score
There's likely to be an overnight tornado risk in Alabama tomorrow night into Thursday morning, yes.
In his tweet, he’s talking about updraft tracks early Wednesday morning...would that be tornadic activity? I wasn’t expecting so much action first thing tomorrow. Thanks for your reply!

Kory

Reaction score
I guess I am having trouble understanding why the NAM/HRRR is so strong with it.
The surface winds leading up to this event are backed more than usual which is seemingly enhancing it. Normally, that would kill moisture return all together, but we've had it pooling for days just to our south. That backed wind flow should veer more SSE/S as the day progresses tomorrow and as they strengthen it will erode quickly.

Reaction score
Personally, I probably wouldn't go high risk due to storm mode uncertainties. However, I am just a severe weather enthusiast, the SPC are the professionals and I am willing to bet they go high risk given their wording.
I wonder who is on shift for the 6z Day 1?

Edit: I believe it is Darrow. We'll see what he does.

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
As soon as the warm front passes through, that is what the models are struggling with tonight...could be late morning, could be mid afternoon..probably morning.
This is what I want to know so I can start a pot of coffee and get everything up and going to watch the family, Got my T1 Radar Scope, their GPS at work and home, Discord, and start armchair chasing and watching.

We are forecast to have a pretty severe front coming through in the AM. It is forecasted like your warm front... it will happen between 4 and 10 AM. lol

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I am having trouble understanding why the NAM/HRRR is so strong with it.
Idk if it helps but currently it is EXTREMELY shallow. We generally get socked in during March wedges up here but we were sunny and 62 today. Not the same down the hill, though.

Looks bizarre on the NAM by late tomorrow and the 0z initialized too cold looks like.

MichelleH

Reaction score
In his tweet, he’s talking about updraft tracks early Wednesday morning...would that be tornadic activity? I wasn’t expecting so much action first thing tomorrow. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, there is a possibility of tornadoes from storms when the warm front moves north. There will then be a better chance of discrete supercells forming tomorrow afternoon in the warm sector that could produce violent, long-track tornadoes. And then a third wave will be Wednesday night into the overnight and early Thursday morning when the cold front comes through. There could be a line of supercells also with possible violent, long-track tornadoes and that might be the biggest threat of the entire long duration event.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Man oh man, I just have a sinking pit feeling in my stomach looking at the parameters we are working with tomorrow. Anything that can get remotely established is going to be rotating...

bwalk

Reaction score
there will be some subtle forcing to spark a few storms, probably not enough for them to be widespread....which would give them plenty of space for long tracks
Round 2 is definitely being downplayed by many due to lack of tangible forcing mechanism(s). I find the idea of “subtle” forcing a interesting area of study. Especially the prediction and forecasting of “subtle“ forcing dynamics. Richard (or anyone),what are the most likely forcing mechanisms you believe will be in play tomorrow’s for Round 2?

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the thing about these CAMs and why they make this plain as day to me.... It's not about needing them to have this pristine warm sector for hours until a perfectly clean 4/27 style swarm pops off. What we have here is, no matter which you look at, they all come to a consensus that, no matter their evolution or how messy it is, they result in multiple violent caliber tracks. This is screaming at us clear as day.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Evening everyone! As things are starting to progress, I kindly ask that we keep this thread dedicated to the storms ahead. We are so excited to have so many past members join us this week. We have brought back Lori's "Getting to Know Our Members" thread which is the perfect place to reconnect. https://talkweather.com/threads/getting-to-know-our-members.61/post-52966

Please stay safe and keep up updated on what is happening where you are!

darkskys25

Reaction score
Quick question. Just looking at SRH on the HRRR and you see the values building/increasing over MS. Then from hours 16 to 18 they just dramatically dissipate over most of MS and AL. What is going on here?

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Here's the thing about these CAMs and why they make this plain as day to me.... It's not about needing them to have this pristine warm sector for hours until a perfectly clean 4/27 style swarm pops off. What we have here is, no matter which you look at, they all come to a consensus that, no matter their evolution or how messy it is, they result in multiple violent caliber tracks. This is screaming at us clear as day.
You are correct, while I have some questions about where the warm front is early afternoon, later in the day, it's all there.

Back