• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I've seen a bit of discussion about this second round in the afternoon timeframe after the morning warm front and before the evening cold front/qlcs. What forcing mechanic would fire off storms in this volatile warm sector during the afternoon in MS/AL?
there will be some subtle forcing to spark a few storms, probably not enough for them to be widespread....which would give them plenty of space for long tracks

Reactions: KoD

Argus

Reaction score
I remember a severe weather event two years ago. We had tornado warnings in Jackson County, about 20 miles to my northwest at 8am. The line of storms didn't get to Athens until lunchtime that day. Could the line stall on Thursday?

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
This whole wedge thing is a bit weird. Normally you would need high pressure on the east coast pushing dry air down the east side of the Appalachians into northern GA and eastern Alabama, but here we have actually a low on the east coast and wedge keeps pushing west. Even the hrrr is showing the wedge strengthening. This is now showing quite the warm front in B'ham metro area...all while Tds are building just south of Bham. Hopefully a cell doesn't ride the warm front into Bham, but I could see that being a problem early in the afternoon.
I must be catching a little bit of that cooler air where I am, because my temperature and DP are down to 60.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I understand why it keeps coming in..the low level winds are still from the east vs. south, the very thing that enhances the low level shear....just not what you typically see with this type of setup without a high on east coast.

Reaction score
I understand why it keeps coming in..the low level winds are still from the east vs. south, the very thing that enhances the low level shear....just not what you typically see with this type of setup without a high on east coast.
Yeah, this wedge really isn't anchored. I have learned my lesson with forecasting slowly retreating wedge fronts, however this one should be easier to scour out.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Yeah, this wedge really isn't anchored. I have learned my lesson with forecasting slowly retreating wedge fronts, however this one should be easier to scour out.
right, I got think it is overdone....just doesn't seem realistic unless we had a whole bunch of rain falling over the front through the morning...that limits the northward movement, but no sign of that

Kory

Reaction score
HRRR is inexplicably mixing dew points in the warm sector over MS. Red flag. This is a common problem with the model. I have major doubts it is handling certain things correctly.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Im going into work early tomorrow. Can you hear the Keel Mtn siren from your house?
Brad was also showing reflectivity of these storms as early as 6:30 entering South Huntsville. I wasn't expecting that so early. Already got woken up last night at 4am from that stout storm that rolled through. Was hoping I'd get a break in the AM before the marathon begins midday.

Clancy

Reaction score
HRRR really wanting to keep that wedge in place, but yet it's showing some notable cells during the evening round well beyond the extent of the wedge as well as this little guy during the morning stuff. Thoughts?
1615945378753.png

Back