• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, since I'm not an expert...What is a wedge?
"Cold-air damming occurs when cold dense air becomes wedged (hence the term "the wedge") against the windward side of the Appalachian Mountain chain. This shallow, but dense, pool of cold air will sink to the south and west, unable to pass over the mountains themselves due to the height of the mountains. Those on the eastern side of the mountain chain get entrenched in cool and dry air while those on the west side don't get nearly the impacts the east sees from CAD."
Taken from WPDE

Reaction score
right, I got think it is overdone....just doesn't seem realistic unless we had a whole bunch of rain falling over the front through the morning...that limits the northward movement, but no sign of that
I agree. We have no high that is strongly reinforcing cold/dry air into the region or steady rainfall like you mentioned. I haven't really jumped into mesoanalysis today, but I'd bet it is pretty shallow in depth.

LP98

Reaction score
Are these possible tornadoes that Brad Travis says may be happening in the early morning hours? Goodness. Also...I’m new...no weather background, just an anxious worrier. Been lurking here for years. Thanks for having me. Live in SE Huntsville.

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Are these possible tornadoes that Brad Travis says may be happening in the early morning hours? Goodness. Also...I’m new...no weather background, just an anxious worrier. Been lurking here for years. Thanks for having me. Live in SE Huntsville.
Welcome. I joined in 2002, I think.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There's likely to be an overnight tornado risk in Alabama tomorrow night into Thursday morning, yes.

Jpgood97

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What is the consensus on the overall risk for say Decatur/Huntsville vs AL/MS state line around Iuka? Is there a noticeable drop off from the state line to North Central Alabama? Or would they all be viewed in the same threshold

Back