• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Risk 2/23-2/24

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't these short term models pretty reliable though?
For generalizations, yes. Rain vs sunshine.
To sound the alarm on a substantial threat we need substantial agreement and consistency. More often than not these events end up having a fly land in the ointment at some point. The current time of year has me increasingly persuaded that this will perform towards the more severe spectrum than the boring rain spectrum... But there's little way to know for sure. Things have to line up perfectly to get the more interesting severe weather and even if all the hi-res models agree on it happening, mother nature can (and often does) pull a fast one.
I'd get really interested if the seasoned met lurkers made an appearance. They usually show up when there's a pattern screaming trouble. Even then it's not a done deal though. Same goes the other way around too.

X

Xenesthis

They may need to expand that enhanced to the east too... I just have a feeling this threat may persist past sunset. We really won’t know for sure until tomorrow!

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One analog that’s been popping up a lot on both the NAM and the HRRR is 11/10/02 at ILN. I don’t know how much stock one should put in those analogs but that’s...concerning.

MichelleH

Reaction score
One analog that’s been popping up a lot on both the NAM and the HRRR is 11/10/02 at ILN. I don’t know how much stock one should put in those analogs but that’s...concerning.

Oh boy...I remember that night VERY well!!

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NAM 12KM, and 3KM continiously improving instability. They along with HRRR, and RAP have CAPE closer to 2000 all way into southwest TN. I’m riding these hard because it has been a clear trend for warm sector instability to be greater. Several point soundings off the NAM are now triggering PDS tornado, and don’t forget that models usually under forecast storm relative helicity.

Reaction score
Those Hi-Res models are pushing the Severe threat farther into North Central Alabama as well. The greatest threat is still over the Mississippi Delta/Mid South east-northeast into Middle Tennessee and the Shoals.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Fairly, but we need to get into tomorrow to truly sound the alarms and scream the O word.

There have rarely been events where they sounded the alarms the day before the event. I can only remember 2011 and there were still some doubts with some outliers.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Florence is nearing ten inches of rain in the last six days
Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather
Yep... I've been sitting right under it. And the folks to my north about 50 miles into Tennessee have got more than I have

Reaction score
Still a bit hesitant to sound the alarm since so many events last year trended down with just hours to spare, but yeah, if the pattern holds we could definitely be looking at some long-track supercells.
Yeah, that was the day of the long track EF4 that hit Holly Springs, MS
That was one to remember. It was an absolute beast on radar and I saw some absolutely insane motion on a chaser stream before it became rain-wrapped. It was overshadowed by the Garland EF4 on Christmas Day, but was definitely the more violent of the two from what I saw.

Last edited:

NWMSGuy

Reaction score
Still a bit hesitant to sound the alarm since so many events last year trended down with just hours to spare, but yeah, if the pattern holds we could definitely be looking at some long-track supercells.

That was one to remember. It was an absolute beast on radar and I saw some absolutely insane motion on a chaser stream before it became rain-wrapped. It was overshadowed by the Garland EF4 on Christmas Day, but was definitely the more violent of the two from what I saw.
I work in Marshall County, closer to Tennessee line off of 72, I left work early to hopefully get back to Tate County before the storm hit. Glad I took 240 to 55 that day instead of Hwy 4...it was an absolute mess and timing would have been close to when the tornado hit and me needing to pass through. In regards to tomorrow’s storms, I’m hoping this is not the time we cry wolf and it gets rough. I could still see this going Moderate just by the way people are talking about the dynamics.

Back