• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
These messy storms are laying down boundaries everywhere. Might limit their short term severe potential but if they can survive and not just die off in their own outflow, boundary interactions could cause some spinups through the night.

Evan

Reaction score

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Leach reported "gone" as per a chaser page on FB I think, but must be taken with a grain of salt knowing the reporting standards of some recent tor damage. Also a very very small town I am told. TORE very much warranted

xJownage

Reaction score
31c8b736fc8370e741fa9390bbe2ad01.jpg

It looks like it dissipated just southwest of the town on radar. That debris you're seeing that's sort of scattered in the hook is actually behind the main circulation, likely leftover debris lofted from the tornado getting scattered as the circulation isn't there to keep it moving with the storm anymore. 5 minutes prior to this scan the tornado was still ongoing. I don't really trust the report of leach being gone, but the area to the southwest probably is.

Evan

Reaction score
Leach reported "gone" as per a chaser page on FB I think, but must be taken with a grain of salt knowing the reporting standards of some recent tor damage. Also a very very small town I am told. TORE very much warranted

I don't buy that. CC drop and reflectivity don't support what that chaser is saying unless Leach is a completely miniscule town. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical of that report just as you are.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't buy that. CC drop and reflectivity don't support what that chaser is saying unless Leach is a completely miniscule town. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical of that report just as you are.

Yeah. the April radar monster at GWX had similar reports that turned out to be mostly unfounded. I want to hear from legit local EMA and official sources first.

Evan

Reaction score
Yeah. the April radar monster at GWX had similar reports that turned out to be mostly unfounded. I want to hear from legit local EMA and official sources first.

There seems to be a group of Twitter and FB accounts that do this nowadays. I see multiple tweets from supposed WX accounts claiming the "Leach tornado is an EF-4/EF-5 tornado" and making other ludicrous claims. Not sure what their angle is...if they're just trolls, idiots, trying to get clicks, or something more sinister.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

It is a very very small town. A good bit of the northwest part of Cherokee county, OK into southwest Delaware got tore up. It does look like quite a few structures were hit. Relatively weak looking ones at that. We may get fatality reports out of this unfortunately.

Reaction score
It is a very very small town. I good bit of the northwest part of Cherokee county, OK into southwest Delaware got tore up. It does look like quite a few structures were hit. Relatively weak looking ones at that. We may get fatality reports out of this unfortunately.
Here is this if your interested about Leach.

Evan

Reaction score
Really a lot of mixed reports of.what happened. Hard to say if there true or not.

Those of us that have been around awhile know these kinds of "everything is gone" reports are unfortunately all too common at night after a TOG with a strong signature. Random Twitter and FB accounts will rarely, if ever, be the ones to break news like this.

The radar data from when the rotation passed through Leach simply doesn't support claims that an EF-4/EF-5 tornado destroyed the town. Official news sources that pass on reports directly from first responders/EMA are a much more accurate source of news. I'm sure there was some damage in Leach - - especially in the areas west of town. The areas that were probably impacted the most are those areas that had the biggest CC drop and lined up with the debris ball on reflectivity.

Evan

Reaction score

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
According to TDS height, I'm told EF-1 to low EF-3 at max probably. I have little doubt that there were probably mobile homes or rural buildings heavily damaged or destroyed and we may have some casualties, but I always wait for morning when it comes to damage reports.

Reaction score
Those of us that have been around awhile know these kinds of "everything is gone" reports are unfortunately all too common at night after a TOG with a strong signature. Random Twitter and FB accounts will rarely, if ever, be the ones to break news like this.

The radar data from when the rotation passed through Leach simply doesn't support claims that an EF-4/EF-5 tornado destroyed the town. Official news sources that pass on reports directly from first responders/EMA are a much more accurate source of news. I'm sure there was some damage in Leach - - especially in the areas west of town. The areas that were probably impacted the most are those areas that had the biggest CC drop and lined up with the debris ball on reflectivity.

I was just wanting to know what happened. I definitely knew there were mixed reports. Some people were saying the town is gone when it only turned out to be significant. It was people exaggerating the damage and some were probably false reports.

Evan

Reaction score
I was just wanting to know what happened. I definitely knew there were mixed reports. Some people were saying the town is gone when it only turned out to be significant. It was people exaggerating the damage and some were probably false reports.

No worries. Just wanted to make you aware that these kinds of exaggerated reports happen all too often with nightime tornadoes. Totally understand where you were coming from.

BTW, Delaware County Comisssioner says no major reports of damage near Leach except for tree damage so far.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Can't have an outbreak without a "city/town X is gone" report from Twitter.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hopefully, the ‘experts’ will do a thorough analysis so we can learn from this. Schools and businesses closed and people took off work. I imagine millions of dollars in work/school time productivity and retail revenue were lost due to this event. I have no problem with that from a safety perspective but can we learn something for ‘next time’ from this?

Usually people tend to just shrug their shoulders and move on. I just don’t see the value of not trying to learn from events like this. My .02.
How do you fix it? Question... high risk was warrant .. it busted thank god... spc did their best... a lot prayers were answered plain n simple... better safe than sorry

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A lot of tornado warnings with the line as it drags east. Another Tulsa tornado.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There are more warnings in Oklahoma now than there were at the peak hours of the high risk, because of course there were.

Logo 468x120
Back