• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

buckeye05

Reaction score
I do think that particular tree appears to have had bark removed given the remaining bark at the base (doesn't appear to be a sycamore which would be the most common tree with super light bark) but with heavy debris loading it's easy to have bark removed and there's always the chance the tree was dying or otherwise unhealthy; many many variables indeed, especially with softwoods. If you have a species and a recent before picture, could probably come up with some sort of objective guess, but usually not going to have that. A standing dead tree slowly shedding branches looks exactly like a debarked shredded tree so it's good to know what was there immediately before
I was thinking the same. After seeing it initially in the night shot, I was expecting to see many more trees in a similar condition once daylight came, but instead it seems rather isolated.

Evan

Reaction score

I hope everyone understands the gravity of what these people are about to endure after already surviving a violent tornado.

You're dealing with an area where the per capita income is historically some of the lowest in the entire country. As can be seen in the photos, the mobile home park in question was obliterated. Everything these people own vanished in an instant. The mobile homes in the photos look tidy and clean but it's obvious they're older housing units. These are not individuals and families with the means to obtain temporary housing, a hotel room, or other form of shelter.

The State of Mississippi will be of very little, if any, help. It's the Mississippi Delta, folks. If you aren't familiar with what that means then please look into it because the history of this region is important context. It has been alluded to several times in this thread already but there are socioeconomic and political factors that will enhance and deepen the human suffering that is taking place in these areas.

The ability of Mississippi Delta communities to survive, adapt, and overcome is quite amazing considering how stacked the deck has always been against them. Nonetheless, the areas impacted are going to need longer, deeper, and much broader forms of assistance and help than what is the norm.

Many were already just barely "surviving" with somewhere around a 1/4 to 1/3 of the community living below the federal poverty line (which is already an unrealistic joke unless you think a family of four can live on 27k a year) BEFORE this violent tornado ripped through their town. Half of the children in this area live below the poverty line.

I say all this not to create any controversy or political debate. It is simple to inform anyone here reading who might not be familiar with the Delta. And, by no means am I saying other impacted areas of Mississippi don't deserve a similar response and attention. The past 15 years has not been kind to so many communities in Mississippi, Alabama, and other parts of the Deep South.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
May I ask what this chart is and what it tells us?
Just a forecasted upper air sounding for tommorow. The atmosphere is primed for some bad weather in south Mississippi and south Alabama tommorow early morning into the day.

The warm front stalls and moves north a bit, probably will be a lot of tornadic/ severe activity again tommorow.

Tornado threat will probably be highest in closer proximity to the frontal boundary

Reaction score
nam_2023032512_036_32.11--90.2.png

Taken off the 12Z NAM near Jackson, MS. for Sunday 00Z27
Yeppers. That ain't good.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

No idea if this has been edited... but if real then thats pretty compelling evidence for it being a car.

I have read another post that this is actually a drone, not a car. But truthfully it could be either.

Given the lower standard of much construction in this area I doubt we will see an EF5 rating. I could be wrong but I don't expect it to happen.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Yesterday/Last night just goes to show you that you don't need multiple supercells to have a bad night. Sounds like the majority of issues came from two storms. You had the tornado warned storm that didn't do much in Mississippi but possibly caused the Florence/Killen tornado and possibly another in Fayetteville, TN. The 2nd storm spawned the tornado near the Mississippi River in Rolling Rock through Silver city. Dropped another tornado from Armory to Smithville. Then had sporadic touchdowns in North Alabama from Bear Creak to Hartselle to Grant to Sand Mountain. I'm putting a lot more faith in the UH projections after watching the tornadic circulation go right over the modeled path in South Madison County before possibly producing the Grant tornado.

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, as we've not yet a thread dedicated to the threat post-3/24, but Sunday ought to be watched closely. Favorable environment for much of MS/AL/GA all day Sunday into Monday morning, and CAMs depict troublesome convection and UH.
View attachment 19099
As was decided before the 24th, Sunday is part of this thread. I'll grab the relevant posts.

Gail

Reaction score
Here is a drive through of downtown Rolling Fork before. I’ve never been through there that I can recall, but it looks like a quaint town. I wonder how those really large courthouse/government looking buildings fared? One seems really close to the water tower that collapsed.

Last edited:

ColdFront

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, as we've not yet a thread dedicated to the threat post-3/24, but Sunday ought to be watched closely. Favorable environment for much of MS/AL/GA all day Sunday into Monday morning, and CAMs depict troublesome convection and UH.
View attachment 19099
Won’t be a shortage of instability. Low level shear is another matter though

KevinH

Reaction score
View attachment 19099
I was playing catch up on this thread (I was at comment #1,000) and then your comment pops up.

Hold up.., I KNOW you are lying… :(

*checks the SPC Outlooks*

And to answer your question, I believe this would go in this thread since it covers the time you mentioned. Monday was not even on my “radar”.

Let me go finish reading these comments……

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back