• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

ColdFront

Reaction score
Chicago & Midwest Storm Chasers are reporting “houses gone” in the New Wren area, though idk if that’s hyperbole or not. No photographic evidence to support it yet.
Yeah it’s really hard during the first few hours to discern fact from hyperbole.

I remember Vilonia being described as gone after the Vilonia tornado on April 25, 2011, but I believe it was only an EF3

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member

My link to our video. One thing I will say, the lightning was constant. When you have lightning like this, it’s often a 100 percent sign there is a strong tornado on the ground. Highway 61 2 miles south of Rolling Fork as we headed north into it.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yeah it’s really hard during the first few hours to discern fact from hyperbole.

I remember Vilonia being described as gone after the Vilonia tornado on April 25, 2011, but I believe it was only an EF3
EF2 as a matter of fact. They also reported pavement scouring, but none was found. When it comes to the immediate aftermath of a major tornado, I’ve learned to adapt a “I’ll believe it when I see a photo of it” approach. So much stuff gets misreported or hyperbolized.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like a direct hit on Wren, MS of 2011 infamy.

And this is what I was worried about, and am sure others too. Does Jeff mean 2 miles wide? Sounds pretty serious.

Got the most intense velocity and CC scans from about 10:45 to 10:57 CDT - correct me if I'm wrong here, but somewhere in the middle is right around when it hit Wren and it hit Amory around 10:54. I was hoping the tornado had weakened before it slammed into Amory, and fortunately that appears to be the case, yet even then it caused fatalities.

Aside from Jeff Piotrowski's photo of that truck and reports of "houses gone" I haven't seen or heard much from that area, so it remains a mystery as to what exactly happened there. Rolling Fork on the other hand...

Reaction score
Got the most intense velocity and CC scans from about 10:45 to 10:57 CDT - correct me if I'm wrong here, but somewhere in the middle is right around when it hit Wren and it hit Amory around 10:54. I was hoping the tornado had weakened before it slammed into Amory, and fortunately that appears to be the case, yet even then it caused fatalities.

Aside from Jeff Piotrowski's photo of that truck and reports of "houses gone" I haven't seen or heard much from that area, so it remains a mystery as to what exactly happened there. Rolling Fork on the other hand...
Posted some drone footage probably as you were typing!
Apologies if someone's already posted this. I don't think I saw it here yet. Drone footage from Amory.

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Agreed. Even given the rural location, it either means damage wasn't too bad or it was so bad that reports aren't even coming out of there. I am slightly concerned its the second one. I remember on Dec 10th 2021 some of the worst impacted smaller communities the intensity of damage didnt really emerge until later - though the track on that storm was of course much longer.

vanni9283

Reaction score
Agreed. Even given the rural location, it either means damage wasn't too bad or it was so bad that reports aren't even coming out of there. I am slightly concerned its the second one. I remember on Dec 10th 2021 some of the worst impacted smaller communities the intensity of damage didnt really emerge until later - though the track on that storm was of course much longer.

Was that more intense damage even surveyed?

Brice

Reaction score
I also think they are doing more survey on the areas of rolling fork and silver city, I think it would make sense to start where the first significant tornado happened, then work over to the amory tornado as you move eastward?

UK_EF4

Reaction score
I also think they are doing more survey on the areas of rolling fork and silver city, I think it would make sense to start where the first significant tornado happened, then work over to the amory tornado as you move eastward?
I think there are different survey teams going to different locations. I also mean reports from residents, emergency services and chasers - not just surveys