• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

Reaction score
Quick question on that - Bassfield 2020, was the well constructed, anchored cabin that was slabbed rated EF4? I think there’s been some talk that a singular house can’t actually be rated “EF5” that it requires contextual evidence
It got hit by a truck. And was less well constructed than thought.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Quick question on that - Bassfield 2020, was the well constructed, anchored cabin that was slabbed rated EF4? I think there’s been some talk that a singular house can’t actually be rated “EF5” that it requires contextual evidence
Houses can theoretically be rated EF5 on their own if they're of superior construction, though very few - even seemingly "well-built" homes - meet such a high standard. Contextual damage is an important part of the assessment either way, but as we've so often seen, the way it's evaluated and factored into the actual rating can be all over the place.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Judging by DAT already 3 EF2s occurred in the NWS Huntsville CWA. Could have been a fair few QLCS tornadoes, some strong, that went relatively unnoticed due to other events ongoing.

Attachments

• 9D899B4C-AB12-41A9-92CB-1C43EAC35A4C.png
    9D899B4C-AB12-41A9-92CB-1C43EAC35A4C.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 37F4BAA1-8940-427A-A215-53B040C63EC8.png
    37F4BAA1-8940-427A-A215-53B040C63EC8.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 5AE47362-4D40-4A1F-A2FF-38E045F3967C.png
    5AE47362-4D40-4A1F-A2FF-38E045F3967C.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
These kinds of videos tend to have the most impact on laypersons storm-footage-wise, at least amongst the people I know, since they really put you right there in the middle of it, in a familiar setting.

I assume that these are the same hallways where students would have taken shelter had this been a school day.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Bassfield was rated EF4 partially due to contextual issues (no extreme scouring or debarking in the immediate vicinity), but mainly due to the fact that even though it was anchor-bolted, structurally it lacked wall sheathing, and it was just a tin-roofed barn-like structure that looked to be built more like an outbuilding than a cabin. Once I saw the “before” photo, I was a lot less impressed. Also, it was determined that a truck was thrown into it during the tornado, so with the collateral damage on top of everything else, that was sort of the nail in the coffin for any EF5 rating there.

Evan

Reaction score

Simply based on the limited evidence/photos I've seen (which is really not sufficient to accurately assess damage) that rating and wind speed are very much along the lines of what my expectations were. I trust JAN to get it right and I'm confident they will.

I don't know if there was additional context for the quote posted, however, this is a WFO and survey team with deep experience. I'd imagine the QRT will provide additional valuable insight as well.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
170mph, especially for preliminary, sounds just right. I think wind speeds were much higher but seriously doubt any structures were well built enough to have a DI assigned above that level - unless they suddenly find some well built, destroyed homes, which seems unlikely.

Evan

Reaction score
Looking at maps of Amory as the storm was ongoing, I was thinking the high school might be hit. :(

Yeah, several of us were listening to scanner traffic from Amory last night. There were a number of addresses and streets given during radio calls that indicated a hit on the HS was pretty likely. There's also a middle school that potentially was in the path of the tornado as well but it was a much iffier possibility. Has anyone heard anything about the middle school?