• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX January 29-30 Southeast Event

pritchlaw

Reaction score
51114388_10213495648366985_4073487076769660928_n.jpg

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
How quickly we get to freezing will be the story of this event. I'm hopeful it will be quick - I'd rather have snow accumulate on roads fast and keep everyone home than have wet roads flash freeze into ice a little later.

Blizzard1

Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a lot of precipitation developing?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

Seems to be breaking out pretty good so far, it isn't just you. Let's just hope for the cold air advection to swoop in quickly post frontal passage to tap into any "over-performance" of precip we get. As several of us have said, that will be the biggest determining factor of this set up.

Blizzard1

Reaction score
Is the cold air advection swooping in quickly very likely in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

Yes, post frontal pssage temps should crash pretty rapidly and as the upper levels cool, the harder the precipitation it should help bring the cold air to the surfacee. They are calling for a fairly rapid change over in this case and the convective nature of the snow will help the whole set up as well in the cooling process.

Kory

Reaction score
The HRRR has 45-50 dBz in the snow band with the immediate changeover. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little thundersnow somewhere with rates pushing 2" an hour.

Back