• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX January 29-30 Southeast Event

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
A key to this event is, IF, the models are underestimating the speed of the dense arctic airmass, then totals will likely be higher. Models often struggle with the speed of cold air advection. Most places this will start as rain (washing away road treatments), but it should quickly transition to snow overnight Monday into Tuesday with temps dropping below freezing.

Attachments

• trend-nam-2019012718-f042.850th.us_se.gif
    trend-nam-2019012718-f042.850th.us_se.gif
    989.7 KB · Views: 0
X

Xenesthis

Is it me or does it have the cold air in place before the precipitation really begins?

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
wonderful, what does it show for ATL? many thanks
explain this lol
sn10_acc.us_se.png

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The GFS has been consistent with 1-2" for ATL...I'm guessing the NAM just hasn't caught up or there's just...something weird about it. Unless the NAM stays consistent through tomorrow with that weird gap (and one time that blob SE of Atlanta was showing 7"+), I'm not buying it yet.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The GFS has been consistent with 1-2" for ATL...I'm guessing the NAM just hasn't caught up or there's just...something weird about it. Unless the NAM stays consistent through tomorrow with that weird gap (and one time that blob SE of Atlanta was showing 7"+), I'm not buying it yet.
yeah, I am not buying that either..but there is a trend for higher moisture across Alabama, I wouldn't be surprised if totals tick up a little bit more..or take the higher totals we have now and spread them over a larger area is probably more realistic.

Reaction score
Yes I think is accurate. This thing has some potential to over perform in my opinion. 1-2 inches widespread is a safe bet, but I think there will be more widespread pockets of 3-4

Logo 468x120
Back