• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yes I know that is jumbled but my phone would not let me correct it

Reactions: KoD

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Laura seems determined to add insult to injury, as it's remnants have now pulled an atmospheric river over Lake Charles. COD-GOES-East-subregional-Dixie.09.20200828.172116-over=map-bars=.gif

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We're up to 57 deaths from Laura. 31 in Haiti, 4 in the Dominican Republic, and 22 in the US (14 in Louisiana, 7 in Texas, 1 in Florida).

Evan

Reaction score

The Lake Charles area along with Cameron Parish are both still in really bad shape. Going to be a long recovery. Virtually non-existent coverage of the situation even as the wildfires on the West Coast dominate headlines.

Same situation as what occurred with the 4/27/11 tornadoes in AL/MS/GA, etc.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The Lake Charles area along with Cameron Parish are both still in really bad shape. Going to be a long recovery. Virtually non-existent coverage of the situation even as the wildfires on the West Coast dominate headlines.

Same situation as what occurred with the 4/27/11 tornadoes in AL/MS/GA, etc.

Sad, but true. https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_c1c4157c-ef9d-11ea-95bf-e78474c2d417.html

Media coverage by its nature is driven by momentary events, but it's perfectly possible to do in-depth coverage after that moment if those who direct it can realize there is still a story here. And that there is an audience of caring people who want to know about.

All those deaths from generators also has really bothered me. There is still a gap in public safety knowledge to be taken care of, even after driving home the message on generator safety year after year.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
NWS has put out an ARCGIS story map on the surge:

Logo 468x120
Back