• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The cutoff between almost no damage to the west and the catastrophic damage east of where the eyewall came ashore is stark. Media attempting to come in from the west are seeing almost no surge damage, but are being stopped by Cameron parish police.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Looks like Laura is set to become a Tropical Storm again after it leaves the East Coast and is over the Atlantic.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's new footage from Cameron, LA.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Decoupled... shearing off NE like Marco did.

1598561452013.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So the mid-level decoupled center is definitely going to pass closer to here than expected tonight. I'd be wary of some unusually strong gusts in any convection tonight and tomorrow.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So the mid-level decoupled center is definitely going to pass closer to here than expected tonight. I'd be wary of some unusually strong gusts in any convection tonight and tomorrow.

We had some 30-40 mph gusts here with that band that just came through NW Alabama. Hearing reports of some isolated power outages.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We had some 30-40 mph gusts here with that band that just came through NW Alabama. Hearing reports of some isolated power outages.

Yeah when that rolled through here we got a few nasty bursts of wind that threw some construction debris across the garage and snapped a few tree limbs, looking at satellite and obs I'm pretty sure Laura is partially to blame for the robustness of that

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Reactions: KoD

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
A Moment Frozen in time. The moment KLCH Radar went down.

Untitled.png

Kory

Reaction score
How about the NHC nailing the forecast track within 1 MILE 3-day out? They didn’t bite on that westward bias shift by the Euro/UKMET that occurred about 24-hour before landfall. Talk about some of the best meteorologists in the world...

I’ve noticed over my nearly 20 years of watching/tracking tropical systems in the gulf, they often veer East at the last minute and jog East of most model guidance. That was the case here too...

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
How about the NHC nailing the forecast track within 1 MILE 3-day out? They didn’t bite on that westward bias shift by the Euro/UKMET that occurred about 24-hour before landfall. Talk about some of the best meteorologists in the world...

I’ve noticed over my nearly 20 years of watching/tracking tropical systems in the gulf, they often veer East at the last minute and jog East of most model guidance. That was the case here too...
Saw several people retweeting Bastardi's Euro tweet crashing into Houston. It got the desired direcnevif it was slightly irresponsible.

Back