• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Barry (Gulf of Mexico)

Kory

Reaction score
Solid tropical storm conditions at my parents house in metro NOLA. Pay attention to that feeder band drifting north....

Kory

Reaction score
What's up with the rain force field along the SE Louisiana coast this morning? The rain evaporates as it reaches the coastline below New Orleans. I assume that will erode later today?
Dry air in the upper levels.

Edit: it will erode throughout the day and bands of rain will stream inland.

Last edited:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Today's term of the day: atmospheric river. Or as I like to call it - the firehose. Mobile, you're up.

Kory

Reaction score
Just saying how good the folks at the NHC are...they're 32 miles off from their first forecast cone to current/imminent landfall.

And kudos to the models for picking up (especially the Euro) on this mesoscale convective system all the way over the Plains that it forecasted to move SE into the Gulf and develop. We've come a long way.

Kory

Reaction score
Today's term of the day: atmospheric river. Or as I like to call it - the firehose. Mobile, you're up.
Yep, you can see the fingerprint of some of the feeder bands that will begin to set up throughout the day. No one should be having a sigh of relief...just yet.

Kory

Reaction score
Here's a look at the drier air that has prevented a lot of the rain over Louisiana. It is eroding and we'll see long, feeder bands that will get stuck over locations with 2-4" per hour rain events.

Notice the wind barbs over Louisiana are out of the NW ushering in drier air. But over AL, where the wind barbs are out of the SW, we have that large feeder band. That will all switch out of the South and its game on. This is at the 300mb level (so wayyyyy up).

300mb.gif

Here is the 12z New Orleans NWS sounding. Again, the dry air in the upper levels. But even with that...2.3" PWATS! These will be efficient rain producers.

LIX.gif

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Yes, what word from Mobile? (Edit: I didn't have local sources but found this page, which is very helpful.)

Mayor Cantrell mentions heavy rain there in this morning's press conference, where she tells it like it is.

Last edited:

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have the payed version of Euro to compare but the ICON nailed the track remarkably well. Monday night the operational GFS showed a Texas coast landfall and the ICON had almost perfectly depicted the landfall & track by that time and stayed pretty consistent. I'm not very familiar with the model but it earned some credit with me. I'm going to give it good attention for the next tropical system and see how it does.

Back