• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Barry (Gulf of Mexico)

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Structure looking more and more symmetrical. Still seems to be struggling against shear to wrap the deep moisture around though, which is a good thing. The longer it holds off, the better.

Poohbear717

Reaction score
I just got to Gulf Shores Al and it’s about a 25 mph gusty wind and high waves. It actually not raining yet . We did get in some rain coming down from Atlanta.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Oops. Dauphin Island.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Looking at that forecast track reinforced something that occurred to me while watching a Weather Channel person onsite in Baton Rouge say that the Mississippi is expected to remain at flood stage through August.

We're all focused, rightly, on the Gulf Coast areas now, but this thing -- and whatever moisture it can bring with it -- is going right up the Mississippi. And the major tributaries will get a soaking, too. And everything is already full up.

The reality just hit me -- this isn't simply a "typical" tropical system event (if any of those can be called typical). It looks more like a longer-term water management crisis for the whole central US that is not going to be over when Barry's remnants finally disappear.

Glad it's not 1927 any more, but still . . .

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tropical Storm Barry Advisory Number 10
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL022019
400 PM CDT Fri Jul 12 2019

...BARRY EXPECTED TO BE A HURRICANE BY LANDFALL ON SATURDAY...
...DANGEROUS STORM SURGE, HEAVY RAINS, AND WIND CONDITIONS
EXPECTED ACROSS THE NORTH-CENTRAL GULF COAST...

SUMMARY OF 400 PM CDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.7N 90.9W
ABOUT 70 MI...115 KM SSE OF MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA
ABOUT 110 MI...180 KM WSW OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...993 MB...29.33 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

None.

Reaction score
Some things don't seem to add up with this storm. It's not overly organized (although it's more organized than yesterday), but yet the pressure dropped to 993 millibars and the winds have not increased at all. Seems like an expanding wind field.

skelly

Reaction score
Some things don't seem to add up with this storm. It's not overly organized (although it's more organized than yesterday), but yet the pressure dropped to 993 millibars and the winds have not increased at all. Seems like an expanding wind field.

I don’t know maybe it has extra tropical characteristics such as the level of the lowest pressure in the atmosphere....

bwalk

Reaction score

I am feeling the same way. This system makes me shake my head. Something seems 'off' about it. The radar/precip presentation (at least at this point) does not fit what we are so used to seeing with tropical systems in general. Yet the satellite presentation does seem at least semi-normal.

Maybe the mental disconnect is the predicted "life-threatening flooding" and the actual radar showing relatively low amounts of precip associated with the system as of 5 pm CST, 7/12. Lack of organization from a precipitation standpoint, as evidenced by low levels of precip intensity/coverage, lack of established rain bands, etc do not give Barry the visual presentation most of us are so used to. Barry is just a different duck in that respect.

That in no way means this system will not be every bit as devastating, flood-wise, as it is being predicted to be.

Back