• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive Former Major Hurricane Irma

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
She's having big troubles right now with dry air. Hurricane Hunters only finding winds to 140MPH and she's awfully close to making landfall.

You know it's a big storm when you stick the word "only" in front of 140MPH.

raine1212

Reaction score
I am still hoping we only see a tiny bit of this, this area is not prepared, I live here, I have seen it. It was a disaster with the ice storm and then the red tape because government in this area did not know what they were doing

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Last couple sat images she seems to be overcoming the dry air. Seeing deep reds all around the center again which she had lost in spectacular fashion earlier.

TuckerTerry

Reaction score
Just saw where the 'new' forecast calls for landfall as a cat5 on CNN?? Is NHC going with the GFS?

Yes, they all seem to be going with that. I've been in and out shopping and prepping, so haven't seen any model runs today. Only what the TV is telling me.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NWS Key West sent out a very strongly worded tweet.

Reaction score
Hopefully Cuba chews her up a bit.

Im a bit concerned with all the westward movements. Makes you want to ask when is it going to stop?

They say its not goin intp the gulf but they arecissuing storm surge watches for Tampa.....

Jacob

Reaction score
Looks like the shift continues west on some of the early 00z models. Will be a couple hours until the global models start coming in.

My gut says this thing just skirts the west coast of Florida and makes landfall somewhere around east of Apalachicola, perhaps due south of Tallahassee.

TuckerTerry

Reaction score
Looks like the shift continues west on some of the early 00z models. Will be a couple hours until the global models start coming in.

My gut says this thing just skirts the west coast of Florida and makes landfall somewhere around east of Apalachicola, perhaps due south of Tallahassee.

And does what? North or turn? I've been fretting this scenario.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And does what? North or turn? I've been fretting this scenario.
That would make the impacts in Alabama MUCH stronger. Higher winds and rain, especially if it makes the NW jog like on the current track.

Back