• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX December 16-17 2019 Severe Weather Outbreak

Evan

Reaction score
Two fatalities reported near Town Creek on WHNT.

Tragic. So incredibly sad especially this time of year. I believe I heard on WHNT that mobile home damage was reported in Town Creek a good 1.5 hours ago. I'd be inclined to think the fatalities probably occurred in mobile homes.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My husband was in the Laurel, MS tor...
Here’s what I posted on FB

Nathan’s is okay! The town of Laurel, MS and his hotel and surrounding buildings were hit. His 3 car trailer has flipped and went 60 feet with the 3 cars (damaged)....

Nathan talked to the police and they said that tornado cut straight through Laurel.... there’s worse damage in other parts of town. His car trailer had 3 cars and weighed 20,000lbs. It was 60feet away. His truck lost all the windows except the windshield. The passenger door is dented in.. there’s some sheet metal wrapped around it. A building beside the hotel’s roof was found 2 blocks away

Last edited:

akt1985

Reaction score

Nathan’s is okay! The town of Laurel, MS and his hotel and surrounding buildings were hit. His 3 car trailer has flipped and went 60 feet with the 3 cars (damaged)....

Nathan talked to the police and they said that tornado cut straight through Laurel.... there’s worse damage in other parts of town. His car trailer had 3 cars and weighed 20,000lbs. It was 60feet away. His truck lost all the windows except the windshield. The passenger door is dented in.. there’s some sheet metal wrapped around it. A building beside the hotel’s roof was found 2 blocks away

Nanny is still in the hospital and we’re not telling her, give her time to heal from that infection without worrying.

I have family in Laurel. One of them is at the Saints game tonight in New Orleans. Hope the damage isn’t too bad in the city.

bwalk

Reaction score
Folks in Demopolis need to be watching the tor warned storm in Marengo Co. It is heading in their general direction.

Evan

Reaction score

Nanny is still in the hospital and we’re not telling her, give her time to heal from that infection without worrying.

So glad he's OK. Hate to hear his trailer and property were damaged. Seems like Laurel took a hard hit. Have been there for work many times. Horrible.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Glad to hear he's okay. Josh Johnson actually just read his damage report on WSFA.

Evan

Reaction score
It's not over by any stretch in Alabama.
It's not the best look because of the distance, but a TDS is still visible on radar. This storm is definitely still producing damage.

bwalk

Reaction score
It's not the best look because of the distance, but a TDS is still visible on radar. This storm is definitely still producing damage.

This storm has merged with the convection around it but maintained its rotation. Forward movement seems to have really slowed over the last 30 mins.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
His car trailer had 3 cars and weighed 20,000lbs. It was 60feet away. . . A building beside the hotel’s roof was found 2 blocks away
. . .

That's some power! Poor Laurel. So many places are getting hit but it's always a little more personal even if you've just driven through a few times.

Reaction score
Well actually looking at Google Maps Demopolis doesn't have much of a "north side," but there are some housing developments along the Black Warrior River.

Kory

Reaction score
@Kory, @Evan. Thoughts as this progresses eastward? Hoping we can 'shoot the gap' here in Bham, but those cells to our SW are looking nasty....
Dynamics are slowly, but continually weakening. I don't suspect this will pose much of a problem for Birmingham right now. Too early to say for sure.

Back