• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 4th-6th, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
wow, so it's a separate tornado? I originally thought it belonged to Pembroke or Allendale.Do we have more damage pics for the Taylor co. tornado?
There are not many other photos from that tornado though all of them show weak damage with the exception of the ground scouring.

buckeye05

Reaction score
There’s something about the Taylor County scouring that’s interesting, but not necessarily representative of extreme strength. It almost looks like a loose layer of sod was peeled back.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Looks like the Allendale tornado has been added to DAT. There are only two EF3 DIs I can find right now, both 137mph and of a destroyed mobile home.

Attachments

• Damage_Points_SDE_image-20220406-174509.jpg
    Damage_Points_SDE_image-20220406-174509.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Damage_Points_SDE_image-20220406-125707.jpg
    Damage_Points_SDE_image-20220406-125707.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like the slabs from Pembroke got EF3 165 on DAT.
I know it's preliminary and all but it seems like the lower-bound value is just endlessly abused these days. As are "preliminary" ratings, which often turn out to be the final rating.

buckeye05

Reaction score
IRRC, that office upped 2020 Nixville, SC from EF3 to EF4 about a month later. They still could upgrade, but don’t hold your breath.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Everybody calm down, no public information statement regarding the Pembroke tornado has even been released, and the rating is not finalized. NWS Charleston has only finalized two EF0s, and while I understand the frustration and cynicism based on past surveys, freaking out over DAT damage points is premature at this point.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Interesting wording they are using on DAT.
unknown.png

OHWX97

Reaction score
Interesting wording they are using on DAT.
unknown.png
From what I've gathered recently, forecast offices can't rate a tornado any higher than EF3 without having to call in a special damage survey crew to come in and determine if it should be rated any higher. The 165mph rating the Charleston NWS gave the Pembroke tornado makes me believe they're convinced this was an EF4 tornado, but they can't make the call themselves.

buckeye05

Reaction score
From what I've gathered recently, forecast offices can't rate a tornado any higher than EF3 without having to call in a special damage survey crew to come in and determine if it should be rated any higher. The 165mph rating the Charleston NWS gave the Pembroke tornado makes me believe they're convinced this was an EF4 tornado, but they can't make the call themselves.
Reading between the lines, I’ve come to the same conclusion. Again, NWS Charleston kept the April 2020 Nixville, SC tornado as an EF3 for weeks before finally upgrading to EF4. That one wasn’t even as impressive as Pembroke, as the upgrade was based on a single home that was reduced to a pile of rubble and wasn’t swept clean. Now I’m not expecting it to take weeks, but if Nixville was an EF4, one can make some pretty reasonable deductions about Pembroke.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought that was all in the past. Now I can see getting a second opinion before rating a tornado an EF5 but I thought they could make the call for an EF4 themselves. Some years ago back in the mid 2000s they had to call a QRT to rate a tornado F4+ on the F-SCALE but that was in the past. I do not think they are required today but it seems like NWS offices use them.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I noticed this in the background of one of the photos from Ulmer. This tornado was quite violent.
unknown.png
Now that’s consistent with the violent signature. It’s fortunate this thing decided to go bezerk in a rural area rather than over the town. I’m assuming this was an open field? I can’t imagine that a wooded area could be that cleanly wiped out, but it sort of has the look of a forest floor.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back