• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 4th-6th, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah those S GA isolated cells bear watching, we've had too many nocturnal deadly surprises lately. Not a super strong LLJ but surface winds are slightly backed through here making the wind profile sufficient for them to cause some trouble

download (3).png

buckeye05

Reaction score

Looks like Allendale South Carolina tornado has been rated EF3 prelim. That brings the total to 3, potentially more, EF3+ tornadoes from the latest outbreak.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given the radar signature that thing had, but once again, I haven’t seen any clear-cut EF3 structural damage from Allendale. So either the rating is based on more subtle DIs, or photos of the most intense damage never made it to social media. Same deal with the Bonaire, GA EF3 I assume.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One of the more impressive damage photos I've seen from Allendale County
00d464bb-e2a6-486a-8e3a-171a937fa1d7-large16x9_AllendaleTornado.PNG

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Haven't seen many damage pics from this whole event overall except in Pembroke, guess we'll see what they put up on the survey DAT

buckeye05

Reaction score
Ulmer, SC tornado has been rated EF3. Very little damage info or photos from that area, and I'm curious to see what they found. Once again, a little surprised, but shouldn't be based on the violent looking radar signature.

Reaction score
Ulmer, SC tornado has been rated EF3. Very little damage info or photos from that area, and I'm curious to see what they found. Once again, a little surprised, but shouldn't be based on the violent looking radar signature.
I am not going to say it is but are they possibly suspecting that the Pembroke tornado was an EF5?

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Tweet from NWS Charleston mentioning EF4 is a possibility. Given some of the photos I would not be surprised at all if we ended up with a low-mid EF4 damage rating. They definitely do seem to be taking the proper time necessary to finalise the rating which is nice, though I would expect the final rating to probably come out by tonight?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Be nice if there were some specific details on the DAT but they are probably pretty overwhelmed right now so it'll probably take a while to get things posted

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bonaire, GA rated 160 - that is rather high end for what's essentially a brief QLCS segment tornado. High tension transmission towers downed and multiple homes completely destroyed. FFC says 20+ tornadoes to survey in their CWA, and then we got the three EF3+s in CHS. What an event

Last edited:

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bonaire, GA rated 160 - that is rather high end for what's essentially a brief QLCS segment tornado. High tension transmission towers downed and multiple homes completely destroyed. FFC says 20+ tornadoes to survey in their CWA, and then we got the three EF3+s in CHS. What an event

Yes, models and historical references indicated it would be one of the more likely so far this year to spin up stronger and longer lived tornadoes because of storm organization and the synoptic setup; this truly represented by the outcome.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Ulmer is on DAT now. The EF3 rating was based on 90-100% blowdown of trees with intense ground scouring and debarking.
Speaking of ground scouring, did the survey team manage to find out the exact location of the pic below?
IMG_20220409_032503.jpg

Logo 468x120
Back