• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 29-May 2nd, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not quite sure what's hampering these cells in the low levels but they are certainly struggling

Reaction score
Not quite sure what's hampering these cells in the low levels but they are certainly struggling

Yeah, there was a lot of talk about what an awesome environment there was gonna be for strong tornadoes today, but the storms certainly didn't behave like it (except the far eastern OK one well removed from where the main risk was thought to be).

*Now watch some bizarre EF2-3 QLCS spinup occur over Moore like in March of 2015.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking less and less impressive on radar, chasers reporting less rotation as well apparently; certainly a little unusual, it had a good environment and was all out by itself but just can't keep it going

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Chasers reporting it is looking a little better, updraft may be strengthening again a bit

Nasty bow echo screaming across the MDT (which is a 45% for wind across the eastern two thirds) probably going to be a widespread wind event with isolated tornadoes up that way

Reaction score
Couple of discrete cells over the Wichita area, they are probably fairly photogenic although likely elevated with the OK activity choking them off. Could be some significant hail with those.

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
Yeah, there was a lot of talk about what an awesome environment there was gonna be for strong tornadoes today, but the storms certainly didn't behave like it (except the far eastern OK one well removed from where the main risk was thought to be).

*Now watch some bizarre EF2-3 QLCS spinup occur over Moore like in March of 2015.
Figures... Big Plains day turns into a nothingburger (last Friday an exception), while messy/marginal setups over the OH Valley/Dixie region produce significant or even historic episodes. (Mayfield a classic example)

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wrapping up again, warm inflow with wall cloud and rapidly rising scud, we'll see

And weakening again, this cell is very undecided (and running out of time)

buckeye05

Reaction score
This is how central Oklahoma events typically play out now. I have to go all the way back to 5/6/2015 to find a major OKC metro tornado day.

There’s also 4/22/2020 and 5/9/2016, but I consider those to be more southern OK events.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is how central Oklahoma events typically play out now. I have to go all the way back to 5/6/2015 to find a major OKC metro tornado day.

Central OK/metro wasn't even supposed to be the greatest threat area today...I was really expecting one of those cells around Fairview/Watonga to put down at least one moderately long-lived, fully condensed tornado before evolving into the squall line...nope.

Reaction score

I didn't do it.

Attachments

• TLX_2349.png
    TLX_2349.png
    496.9 KB · Views: 0

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Nearly 70mph winds just 300-400 feet off the ground in Moore, probably some straight line wind damage in town

Reaction score
Vicious looking comma head structure heading toward Sapulpa, although rotation has broadened a bit for the time being. Remarkably our discrete cell is still alive near Etowah and hasn't been swallowed by the southern part of the complex yet, although it still seems in no hurry to produce a significant tornado. Its tornado warning polygon is entirely within the severe thunderstorm warning associated with the complex.

Attachments

• TLX_0009.png
    TLX_0009.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

buckeye05

Reaction score
Man, that is looking ugly. I'd be really concerned if I were in Seminole right now. Also, fascinating how this seems to be one of those rare (?) cases where the line catching up with the supercell actually seems to have induced tornadogenisis. Does anyone with more knowledge on storm interactions know what causes this to happen?

Logo 468x120
Back