• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2021 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A lot of companies are considering this. You may want to consider heading down the Amish path, because you may not be able to shop and eat anywhere except Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A.
well I already eat at Chic-Fil-A almost daily.........

And, I'm not surprised. I kind of figured so.

Jacob

Reaction score
Never thought this day would come! I was totally wrong about the potential for Roe to be overturned.

GettyImages-1178654146-600x400@2x.jpg

Disclaimer: This is intended as a friendly jab. I'm not a Trump fan, but his lasting influence on the court will be the best thing that came out of his presidency.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This deposition and testimony is just.... Wow

Derek00

Reaction score
I see so many Christians celebrating Roe being overturned and it does nothing but solidify why I loathe religion. Does every pro-choice nutjob think that women skip out of the abortion clinics and terminate pregnancies with smiles on their faces? Because they damn sure don't. It's not a fun memory I like to recall, but having had to go through this with my wife due to an ectopic pregnancy. It was the worst day of our lives, something that still haunts us. I'll never forget the awful comments my wife had thrown at her by "God's children" on the very day we had to go through it, leading to me vowing to never, ever give an ounce of respect for a Christian's beliefs again due to the disrespect that was shown to us on that awful day. We certainly didn't want to do it, we were thrilled to have a kid on the way. I hope I live long enough to live in a world where laws and actions are based on reality and common sense rather than based on religious beliefs of any kind.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I see so many Christians celebrating Roe being overturned and it does nothing but solidify why I loathe religion. Does every pro-choice nutjob think that women skip out of the abortion clinics and terminate pregnancies with smiles on their faces? Because they damn sure don't. It's not a fun memory I like to recall, but having had to go through this with my wife due to an ectopic pregnancy. It was the worst day of our lives, something that still haunts us. I'll never forget the awful comments my wife had thrown at her by "God's children" on the very day we had to go through it, leading to me vowing to never, ever give an ounce of respect for a Christian's beliefs again due to the disrespect that was shown to us on that awful day. We certainly didn't want to do it, we were thrilled to have a kid on the way. I hope I live long enough to live in a world where laws and actions are based on reality and common sense rather than based on religious beliefs of any kind.
I applaud you for labeling pro-choice people as nutjobs. Pro-life people wouldn't be so opposed to abortions if the majority of them were performed in the interest of the mothers' health. Unfortunately, that's not the case - the overwhelming majority of abortions are performed due to unwanted pregnancy, a statistic that most "pro-choice nutjobs" (your words) choose to ignore. These are the abortions that most pro-life supporters oppose - ending lives in the name of convenience.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I applaud you for labeling pro-choice people as nutjobs. Pro-life people wouldn't be so opposed to abortions if the majority of them were performed in the interest of the mothers' health. Unfortunately, that's not the case - the overwhelming majority of abortions are performed due to unwanted pregnancy, a statistic that most "pro-choice nutjobs" (your words) choose to ignore. These are the abortions that most pro-life supporters oppose - ending lives in the name of convenience.
The question is, is a fetus a life? Why can’t I claim a fetus on my taxes? It’s already been shown in court that a pregnant woman can’t ride in the carpool lane. Fetuses are given the right to be born, but we aren’t dealing with the root of the issue. Thankfully, nobody is pro-murder. Pro choice people do not see what they are doing as murder.

It’s like gun control, outlawing guns doesn’t work. Outlawing abortions doesn’t work. We have to do better as a society.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The question is, is a fetus a life? Why can’t I claim a fetus on my taxes? It’s already been shown in court that a pregnant woman can’t ride in the carpool lane. Fetuses are given the right to be born, but we aren’t dealing with the root of the issue. Thankfully, nobody is pro-murder. Pro choice people do not see what they are doing as murder.

It’s like gun control, outlawing guns doesn’t work. Outlawing abortions doesn’t work. We have to do better as a society.
That's really the root of it, pro-choice people do not see it as murder and pro-life people do. While I can sympathize with the pro-life beliefs and rationales, I do not believe the same way they do and I am against that group trying to force their beliefs on other people. Again I can understand why they think their position is morally justified. It's one of those things where I can't argue with that viewpoint but I can argue that they should follow their own beliefs and not force everybody else to do so as well. Especially considering around half to over half of the population is pro-choice.

gangstonc

Reaction score
That's really the root of it, pro-choice people do not see it as murder and pro-life people do. While I can sympathize with the pro-life beliefs and rationales, I do not believe the same way they do and I am against that group trying to force their beliefs on other people. Again I can understand why they think their position is morally justified. It's one of those things where I can't argue with that viewpoint but I can argue that they should follow their own beliefs and not force everybody else to do so as well. Especially considering around half to over half of the population is pro-choice.
But you have to understand that if you see abortion as baby murder, you would feel the need to be very outspoken about it!

Jacob

Reaction score
But you have to understand that if you see abortion as baby murder, you would feel the need to be very outspoken about it!

It's one of the reasons that I typically stay out of most of the abortion talk, both here and among people in person. I'm pro-life and am glad that Roe was overturned, but it's always been way down the list of my political priorities. If you don't see a fetus as a living being, then you're going to have a very different opinion than me on it. It's not something I'm going to change your mind about because of that fundamental disagreement.

I think a compromise could be had, similar to how some countries in Europe do it. There's probably 15-20% on either end of the spectrum that won't come to the table for that, but I think the other 60-70% could be mostly satisfied with something in the middle.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score

I view a fetus as a life because I view the mother as a natural life support system. As long as the law treats a person on life support as a life (which one would expect, given the name), I believe it should treat a fetus in the same manner. Both are human beings incapable of living without an attached support system. If the law does not view a person on life support as “living”, then I am willing to re-examine my position on the status of a fetus.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons that I typically stay out of most of the abortion talk, both here and among people in person. I'm pro-life and am glad that Roe was overturned, but it's always been way down the list of my political priorities. If you don't see a fetus as a living being, then you're going to have a very different opinion than me on it. It's not something I'm going to change your mind about because of that fundamental disagreement.

I think a compromise could be had, similar to how some countries in Europe do it. There's probably 15-20% on either end of the spectrum that won't come to the table for that, but I think the other 60-70% could be mostly satisfied with something in the middle.
I think reversing R vs W and turning it over to the states is a compromise of sorts. In states where the majority think it's murder, allow them to outlaw it. In states that don't believe it is murder or immoral, let them decide what to do. You can still get an abortion in the US... just not in the states where the majority think it's a horrific act.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A couple of thoughts -

The left has been completely disingenuous with regards to the abortion debate. They are always moving the goal posts. Whatever happened to "safe and rare"?

Dobbs is settled law. Move on.

gangstonc

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts -

The left has been completely disingenuous with regards to the abortion debate. They are always moving the goal posts. Whatever happened to "safe and rare"?

Dobbs is settled law. Move on.

I think this explains what happened to “safe and rare” pretty well. More standard left wing being afraid of hurting someone’s feelings with a word.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
It's good to see this thread showing a little life again

Kim30

Reaction score
I don't think pro-lifers realize what has been unleashed. More than Half of America is angry and ready to fight back. We're not going to sit back while our rights are being stripped away.

Jacob

Reaction score
I don't think pro-lifers realize what has been unleashed. More than Half of America is angry and ready to fight back. We're not going to sit back while our rights are being stripped away.

There’s a very vocal wing on your side, but it’s not more than half of America. The polling doesn’t reflect much of a post-Roe shift at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back