• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2021 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
Do we have time for a 3rd impeachment? Trying to lift the COVID travel restrictions just as several aggressively spreading strains start to filter our way from Europe and Brazil is both inexplicable and an act of malice.

And to continue the travel restrictions on China -- when there's no evidence of the new strains emanating from there nor any evidence even normal strains are seeing community spread in China? Completely nonsensical.

Pretty amazing how Trump has just totally taken off the mask in 2021.

Evan

Reaction score
If the GOP Senate doesn't convict after this then I hope Joe Biden spends the final months of his Presidency going on a historic crime spree. And why shouldn't he? The GOP is totally fine with a President doing that.

Last edited:

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to find President Trump's statement today honoring MLK's birthday and haven't found it anywhere. Anyone got a link?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Trying to find President Trump's statement today honoring MLK's birthday and haven't found it anywhere. Anyone got a link?
Well lets see, Facebook and Twitter have blocked him and Parler is still down. No social media outlet to get his message out. MSM isn't going to do it for him, so my guess there isn't one.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Well lets see, Facebook and Twitter have blocked him and Parler is still down. No social media outlet to get his message out. MSM isn't going to do it for him, so my guess there isn't one.
An official Presidential statement isn't usually issued via social media by real Presidential Presidents. Somehow he managed to get the word out of the send off that he has set himself up for... red carpet... 21 gun salute... military band... etc. Didn't need Twitter or Parler to get the info out for patting himself on the back. Maybe if MLK was a Proud Boy he would have honored him

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
An official Presidential statement isn't usually issued via social media by real Presidential Presidents. Somehow he managed to get the word out of the send off that he has set himself up for... red carpet... 21 gun salute... military band... etc. Didn't need Twitter or Parler to get the info out for patting himself on the back. Maybe if MLK was a Proud Boy he would have honored him
I have a feeling you have an incorrect perception of who the proud boys are. Maybe I am wrong.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
And honestly, I don't watch news networks or really pay too much attention to the presidential page. So I wouldn't know if he did or didn't make a statement.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling you have an incorrect perception of who the proud boys are. Maybe I am wrong.
They've shown themselves to be insurrectionists and domestic terrorists... that is the perception I have... and I have a first hand account from someone who attended one of their meetings in GA last month and it was pretty bad what was said there.

gangstonc

Reaction score

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks... I tried several keyword searches but never found this... maybe because I included "today" in my searches. That is a nice statement by the White House and glad to see they recognized and honored MLK

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
As we close the book on the Trump presidency, I think it's time to revisit the fantastic campaign promises that fired up so many at rallies across America.
1) Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it! He gets partial credit here - a portion of a wall was built, but it definitely wasn't paid for with Pesos.
2) End Obamacare! It may be different now than when Trump took office (and it will change again with Biden as President), but the Affordable Care Act is still alive and kicking.
3) Lock her up! Ummm... nope.
4) Drain the swamp! I guess I can give partial credit here? There are definitely different people in office now (see Democrats now have the majority in both the House and the Senate), and there was a great deal of turnover in DC (mostly from his own staff). Given that I've seen/heard multiple Trump people (Tuberville is one example) blaming the latest impeachment on "the Swamp", I'm guessing he didn't drain it very well.

Admittedly, Trump has accomplished some of the things that he promised. He withdrew from the Paris climate agreement, he reshaped NAFTA (although not that much), he placed some conservative judges on the Supreme Court (which didn't work out so well for him in the end), and he slapped tariffs on lots of stuff. But, those aren't what worked the crowds into a frenzy. There isn't a snazzy three word withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accords. But "Build the Wall!", "Lock Her UP!", and "Drain the Swamp!" - those awesome chants didn't play out so well.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
ProPublica put together a pretty amazing timeline of videos from Parler on Dec 6th starting with Trump's Rally to the attack of the Capitol building.

As supporters of President Donald Trump took part in a violent riot at the Capitol, users of the social media service Parler posted videos of themselves and others joining the fray. ProPublica reviewed thousands of videos uploaded publicly to the service that were archived by a programmer before Parler was taken offline by its web host. Below is a collection of more than 500 videos that ProPublica determined were taken during the events of Jan. 6 and were relevant and newsworthy. Taken together, they provide one of the most comprehensive records of a dark event in American history through the eyes of those who took part.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
ProPublica put together a pretty amazing timeline of videos from Parler on Dec 6th starting with Trump's Rally to the attack of the Capitol building.

Like in one of those videos where you can very audibly hear a true patriot saying don't do it, don't go in, I would say that those who did go in shouldn't have gone and they made the republicans look bad. We as Conservatives cannot do the same thing that the left does. The Democrats and those on the left get a pass by the media and lawmakers on the left while Conservatives have to not stoop to the same antics and disorderly conduct.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me like McConnell has quietly greenlighted republican senators to vote without repercussions from the party on impeachment.

He said this earlier today: "The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the President and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like."

Trump will never be allowed to run for president again.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Like in one of those videos where you can very audibly hear a true patriot saying don't do it, don't go in, I would say that those who did go in shouldn't have gone and they made the republicans look bad. We as Conservatives cannot do the same thing that the left does. The Democrats and those on the left get a pass by the media and lawmakers on the left while Conservatives have to not stoop to the same antics and disorderly conduct.
The conservatives were not protesting for the same reason the left was protesting. The conservatives were protesting due to falsehoods. They were also going into a secure government facility.
It is not the same as protesting in public against a real problem.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I invite all of those “patriots” who said they couldn’t be stopped from entering the Capitol because it’s our property to try waltzing onto our Redstone Arsenal.

Evan

Reaction score

I always find it amazing how the talking points filter down. Baffles me in utter amazement every single time. The GOP propaganda networks are some of the best in history.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
As we close the book on the Trump presidency, I think it's time to revisit the fantastic campaign promises that fired up so many at rallies across America.
1) Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it! He gets partial credit here - a portion of a wall was built, but it definitely wasn't paid for with Pesos.
2) End Obamacare! It may be different now than when Trump took office (and it will change again with Biden as President), but the Affordable Care Act is still alive and kicking.
3) Lock her up! Ummm... nope.
4) Drain the swamp! I guess I can give partial credit here? There are definitely different people in office now (see Democrats now have the majority in both the House and the Senate), and there was a great deal of turnover in DC (mostly from his own staff). Given that I've seen/heard multiple Trump people (Tuberville is one example) blaming the latest impeachment on "the Swamp", I'm guessing he didn't drain it very well.

Admittedly, Trump has accomplished some of the things that he promised. He withdrew from the Paris climate agreement, he reshaped NAFTA (although not that much), he placed some conservative judges on the Supreme Court (which didn't work out so well for him in the end), and he slapped tariffs on lots of stuff. But, those aren't what worked the crowds into a frenzy. There isn't a snazzy three word withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accords. But "Build the Wall!", "Lock Her UP!", and "Drain the Swamp!" - those awesome chants didn't play out so well.
Don't forget he also promised that he would fix the country's deficit and do it quickly... how'd that work for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back