• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
So you only work with countries that are Allies? Is China an Ally? We work with them all the time with Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.

Not in cyber security after they previously hacked an election. That’s ridiculous. Please tell me how it makes sense.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Not in cyber security after they previously hacked an election. That’s ridiculous. Please tell me how it makes sense.

I think you have your blinders on. This has nothing to do with the election. We work with countries all the time for reasons we do not at all understand. Nor can we because we do not have all of the information.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I think you have your blinders on. This has nothing to do with the election. We work with countries all the time for reasons we do not at all understand. Nor can we because we do not have all of the information.
I know what they did. You do too. It’s not right to excuse that.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Cybersecurity alliances should only be conducted with countries that are your strongest allies and that you can explicitly trust. Countries that have breached/hacked into our nation's cyber systems should not be our partners in cybersecurity... opening the door to the hen house for the coyotes

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Cybersecurity alliances should only be conducted with countries that are your strongest allies and that you can explicitly trust. Countries that have breached/hacked into our nation's cyber systems should not be our partners in cybersecurity... opening the door to the hen house for the coyotes

Partnering with them doesn't mean giving them the keys to kingdom. Someone with experience in Cybersecurity help me out here.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Partnering with them doesn't mean giving them the keys to kingdom. Someone with experience in Cybersecurity help me out here.

Ummm, I have experience in cyber security. Can’t help you out. I would share nothing with these guys. There’s no trust.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's really tough... I'm not a fan of partnering with them as they provide active support Iran, N. Korea and Syria. Can't really see the overall benefit of working with them since they have such an active role in working with groups that work so hard against us. I would say the same about China except the reasoning would be that they are so deadset on stealing intellectual property at all costs. I can't think of what information we would provide these two that they don't already know or without giving them information that could lead to them to use our sources and methods against us. It would take a pretty convincing argument to convince me otherwise. The one exception is if this is an agreement to open a channel of cybersecurity communication. The red phone of the cybersecurity world. If and when we see a massive attack one day, it would be good to have a hardened channel in place to ensure that we are talking to each other.

skelly

Reaction score
But it’s funny,(not ha ha funny) that foreign policy is so cut and dry for some. As if we don’t work with them to an extent we can in our own interest. Remember Russian “Reset Button”? Remember “wait until I’m re-elected.”?
We don’t try to influence elections and regime change in other countries? Of Allies and enemies?
I’ll admit I didn’t trust Obama on any foreign policy. So I’ll concede people have the same prerogative with Trump.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Ummm, I have experience in cyber security. Can’t help you out. I would share nothing with these guys. There’s no trust.

I also have experience in CyberSecurity. I am Glad Wes chimed in. The reason I asked for others is well you refute everything I say without really reading what I say.

So here is my last comment on the subject. CyberSecurity is a tough enterprise considering the internet is world wide. Sure we put safe guards in place but there is no possible way to block everything from a country coming in. Hackers will find a way. So while we shouldn't give them detailed information about some of our efforts we should in my opinion work with other countries. You may say that we shouldn't trust Russia. Do you think they trust us? So it's more of a coordination to work together and maybe some of the hacking will be slowed down.

I just think if you don't work with other countries, you put us on an island by ourselves set for destruction.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Lindsey graham wanted the transcripts released. After they were released and confirmed the quid pro quo, here is what he did:

The leadership in our govt is broken.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wait... he changed his story... Wow! Link to ABCNews story quoted below.

Gordon Sondland, a key witness in President Donald Trump’s impeachment inquiry, said he personally delivered the message to a top Ukrainian official that U.S. military aid was contingent upon the country’s ability to launch an investigation that Trump wanted, according to testimony released Tuesday.

The disclosure of a direct “quid pro quo” was made in congressional testimony Sondland revised after he said other witnesses “refreshed my recollection about conversations involving the suspension of U.S. aid.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dem...olker-closed-door-testimony/story?id=66763869

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Close race in Kentucky, neck & neck
The Dem won by about 4600 votes but didn't quite get 50%.. so will this stand or will there be a runoff without the Libertarian who got 2%? I'm sure the Repub will demand a recount too

gangstonc

Reaction score

gangstonc

Reaction score
Bevin is a bad candidate. Not saying he is a Roy Moore, but candidates matter. In the reddest of red state, you can't put lipstick on a pig. That's why we have Doug Jones.
Agree 100%.

I have to admit though, I haven’t been embarrassed of Jones like I have been of Brooks or would have been if Moore.

Kory

Reaction score
Doug Jones has been wholly ineffective and I can't wait to see him go. But, he isn't a Roy Moore so he has that going for him. And that's really it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back