• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Wx Outbreak March 1st- 3rd, 2023 - Southern States, MS/OH/TN Valley

F

Former Member 1430

I can’t keep but going back to something James Spann mentioned following the April 27th event…. If you have an excessive amount of shear and not enough instability the updrafts will get ripped apart. You can have everything lined up perfectly and end up with a non event because the updrafts are torn to shreds. Somehow this feels like that could indeed be that type of situation in my view.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I can’t keep but going back to something James Spann mentioned following the April 27th event…. If you have an excessive amount of shear and not enough instability the updrafts will get ripped apart. You can have everything lined up perfectly and end up with a non event because the updrafts are torn to shreds. Somehow this feels like that could indeed be that type of situation in my view.
Definitely, I'm not sure if you can find a exact value but usually around 2500 or so and above will do it. Maybe even 2000. No doubt will have a chance to reach near that if the euro is right

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
correct, the euro been pushing that type cape into southern tn... gfs is lacking in cape thus far... see how the euro has it soon

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
based off the euro alone, with that bomb of a system, wouldnt suprise me if a secondary slp develops further south. something watch out for future models runs that would even back winds even more
Absolutely. Reinforcement of vorticity even more so at 0-1km. I mean we all realize what we're looking at still at this range, but, if the TREND continues of coarse on all models, then we're in real trouble if the boundary layer instability is there, and that projected warm sector attm looks huge. These long range solutions are contentious lately to say the least thou.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Definitely, I'm not sure if you can find a exact value but usually around 2500 or so and above will do it. Maybe even 2000. No doubt will have a chance to reach near that if the euro is right
I think more like 1000-1500/j/kg can often be enough even in extreme shear. There are quite a few events on torarchive where there were violent tornadoes produced in 1000j/kg of CAPE and large, extreme, looping shear profiles. Even March last year had a couple of discrete sups ahead of the line which were probably more like 500-1000j/kg. That's really pushing it though. Though that being said it is something I would probably need to do more research on.

Reaction score
Yes and no. It really depends on each circumstance. Even in events where you have meager instability and updrafts are being sheared downstream, you can have a cell or two take off and produce tornadoes.

There are several good papers out there concerning HSLC environments. Here is one regarding simulation of those environments.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Even though the GFS is a outlier, I wouldn't discount it's solution, big jumps are to be expected but what sticks is the question, the ensembles are interesting at the moment to say the least, the euro ensemble's have taking a side to a more eastward ejection, but it's a fluid situation lol