• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Wx Outbreak March 1st- 3rd, 2023 - Southern States, MS/OH/TN Valley

MichelleH

Reaction score
Has anyone else witnessed a 974mbar storm system over the Mid-South region in March? And if so, when was the last one to do so? I was just reading back through the March 1984 Carolina outbreak and that deepened to 976mbar.

I tried to find the pressure for March 21, 1932 and while all I could find was from Wikipedia, it says it was 991 mb and we know how that day went.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
twister-nature.gif

MichelleH

Reaction score
and NWS BHam refers to that as a “Super Outbreak”.

I did not know that until just now.

Yes, it was the worst tornado outbreak on record in Alabama as far as number of tornadoes, I think, until April 3-4, 1974. It was the deadliest one-day outbreak in Alabama until April 27, 2011. (I think April 27th topped it - I know it was close.)

KevinH

Reaction score
Yes, it was the worst tornado outbreak on record in Alabama as far as number of tornadoes, I think, until April 3-4, 1974. It was the deadliest one-day outbreak in Alabama until April 27, 2011. (I think April 27th topped it - I know it was close.)
Northern Alabama might as well be called Alabama Alley…. Seriously SMH

Ingredients for the worst tornadoes in Dixie seem to come together there and MS.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Northern Alabama might as well be called Alabama Alley…. Seriously SMH

Ingredients for the worst tornadoes in Dixie seem to come together there and MS.
I lived through the superoutbreak of April 3-4 1974. 13 years old. Lived in Northern Jefferson County. Spent the entire night with my mother and brother in our basement.
Saw to the NE out the patio glass door, "green" lighting glowing . It was the F4 striking Cullman at that time.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my questions guys. I had wondered if we had ever had a low pressure system that intense, that deep in the mid South ever. Needless to say if all the right ingredients come together for an outbreak or not, if we have a low-pressure system that intense it's going to be a crazy and stormy couple of days. I'm not sure but, this warm up in the midlde and south of our country during the next week is not gonna help either.

You can only roll the dice so many times until you finally roll snake eyes.

JPWX

Reaction score
The lowest pressure outside of a tropical system in the continental United States was 952mbar in Bridgehampton, NY on March 3rd, 1914. That's sort of eerily isn't it?!

From what I've found, the record low sea level pressure for March for the Mid-South region is between 984 to 992mbar.

Back