• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Wx Outbreak March 1st- 3rd, 2023 - Southern States, MS/OH/TN Valley

KevinH

Reaction score
I hesitate to post this early BEFORE the SPC highlights a risk area, but there seems to be increased model consensus AND increased chatter/concern about this time period.

We all know models flip flop and hopefully this potential event will flop. If it does, at least we will have had a good discussion lol

Dates and states in the thread title will be adjusted as needed per future SPC Outlooks.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Also just for a note lol, a lot of this talk is going to be speculation moving forward until we are in a more solid range 6-7 day.

It's gunna be a fine line for too deep of a digging trough or vice versa, positive tilt trough will probably lead to less severity in general

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also just for a note lol, a lot of this talk is going to be speculation moving forward until we are in a more solid range 6-7 day.

It's gunna be a fine line for too deep of a digging trough or vice versa, positive tilt trough will probably lead to less severity in general
Heard a positive tilted trough can lead to more
Tornadoes also …. But seems bigger severe outbreaks come during a negative titled trough .

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
GFS with 992mb low over north Alabama on 12z run. Tornado outbreak in the Southeast. Now to wait 3 hours for the EURO to finish is the most annoying thing about weather model watching lol.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
It really depends more on trough shape and amplitude more than tilt in my opinion, and even then - tilt is a spectrum, so classing them into purely positive and negative tilts isn't a super beneficial way of looking at things to me. Typically you want large, low amplitude troughs that have strong flow and embedded shortwaves for your typical large scale, long duration discrete supercell outbreaks (at least that's what I have found). These may be slightly positively or negatively tilted, though the smaller embedded shortwaves are almost always negatively tilted.

KevinH

Reaction score
Stop posting your own tweets Kevin lol *wink wink* (can't figure out how to get emojis to work on here lol)
This isn’t my Twitter account lol

And I can’t figure out how to get emojis on here either but I saw one in a thread recently. It was either in the severe weather 2023 thread or the thread from late last week.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
ecmwf_full_2023022212_222_area_32.35-33.79.-88.83--86.88.pngCap12355ture.JPG
Although some of these runs especially the 12z Euro, are big 'yikes', I don't think we should be getting too worried just yet. I have posted these just for fun as I thought they are pretty crazy, but it's worth remembering we are still 220 hours out, and we know after the last few events things can easily downtrend. But for now I am just keeping an eye on models and trends etc, though also worth saying model agreement is something a bit unusual for 9 days out.

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
12Z runs definitely looking pretty spooky. Still a lot of time to wait on specifics but the model agreement troubles me. Hoping this downtrends significantly in the coming days.
Sometimes events make a name for themselves far out, not saying this will. Your almost gonna need a really good pool of instability to support the wind shear in place by the euro and gfs or the updraft will be tore apart

Back