• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Wednesday/Thursday/Friday April 17th-19th Severe Threat

Kory

Reaction score
And we can already see the GFS is falsely decoupling the boundary layer much like it did with this past event resulting in only a few hundred joules of CAPE. NAM has a more realistic handle on surface temps, although it's likely underestimating moisture return (again, just like it did with this past system at this range).

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Here's the deal about the instability- there is alot of dry cool air that has been pushed south behind Sunday's system all the way into the Gulf. A return flow from the Gulf is expected later tomorrow into Wednesday. While I am not sure we will see dewpoints near 70°, they will at least be in the low 60's for western sections by Thursday afternoon...some models suggest they will barely make it to the mid 50's...and are probably underplaying this a bit.

amp1998

Reaction score
Latest run of the NAM moves a powerful line of thunderstorms through Mississippi and Alabama Thursday afternoon/evening despite limited moisture return and instability (which are probably underdone as noted in previous posts). This could absolutely be a significant event if even more instability is realized.

Attachments

• 700wh.us_se.png
    700wh.us_se.png
    531 KB · Views: 0
  • 850wh.us_se.png
    850wh.us_se.png
    593.1 KB · Views: 0
  • refcmp.us_se (3).png
    refcmp.us_se (3).png
    288.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 700wh.us_se (1).png
    700wh.us_se (1).png
    522.2 KB · Views: 0
  • refcmp.us_se (3).png
    refcmp.us_se (3).png
    288.6 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4ORS
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just curious on the thoughts regarding the 500mb trough orientation. This looks to be coming in with a slightly positive axis.

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
I know we're still 3 days out, but I really am not seeing a significant tornado threat across Dixie Thursday. Pretty substantial damaging wind risk, but it seems way too messy with too many caveats for a significant tornado threat to materialize across MS/AL/LA. Maybe a decent QLCS tornado threat however. Now that I have said this, watch an outbreak occur.

amp1998

Reaction score
So I'm leaning more towards a QLCS type situation for Dixie Alley, but looking at the 500mb vorticity map off the GFS, I notice some local maxima in Alabama ahead of what would appear to be the main line. Question: would those possibly be supercells ahead of the line?

Attachments

• 500hv.conus (1).png
    500hv.conus (1).png
    598.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 500hv.us_se.png
    500hv.us_se.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 0

mattdanielwx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I still think the models are downplaying the amount of instability for Thursday/Thursday night. I do think the instability will be lower than we originally thought. It will be interesting to see where a secondary low forms. Models are showing that as a solution, but they vary on placement and intensity. It will be key on who sees the worst weather. Damaging winds will definitely be the biggest threat with spin-up tornadoes possible along the main line.

Kory

Reaction score
We should get a narrow band of instability that will allow the storms to become surface based and enhance the damaging wind threat and QLCS tornado threat.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Very important AFD particulars to be monitored from BMX:

This will be a very dynamic system with 110kts of meridional upper-level flow developing,
75kts at 500mb, 65 kts at 700mb, and 50-60kts at 850mb. At the
surface, low pressure centered over the Great Lakes associated
with the northern stream trough will be the main feature with a
cold front extending southward. But the amplifying trough
interacting with the cold front along with potential convective
processes will result in a potential secondary surface low
developing. This will be an important feature for the evolution of
the severe threat. The ECMWF is most concerning with a 998mb low
tracking along the Highway 278 corridor but other guidance is
weaker or further north with the track of this secondary surface
low.

skelly

Reaction score
Closer it gets more unclear the setup seems to be just based on reading what’s posted here but dangerous for somebody no doubt.

Kory

Reaction score
Now models are picking up on a secondary low pressure (a strong one at that) moving from Northern MS into TN/KY later Thursday. This will enhance the severe wx threat in MS/AL although I’m unsure that storm mode will cooperate for a higher end tornado threat. This will likely be a nasty damaging wind/secondary tornado threat.

Back