• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Cherry blossoms are here! Almost 80 degrees today.

Fr8F1ACWwAI0XYM

Tennie

Reaction score
NOAA put out a couple videos showcasing an animation of the tornado that hit Moore, OK, on 5/20/2013.

First is a video (runtime 14:08) intended for public consumption that gives a summation of findings regarding why and how the tornado occurred and became as violent as it did:

Second is a longer video (runtime 46:20) that goes into further meteorological detail regarding the aforementioned factors:

It contains some rather interesting discoveries. For example, the tornado's rapid development was aided by a well-timed merger of several cells and the intervention of a 700-mb jet streak, which together supercharged the tornado's development. When the jet streak left, that caused a sequence of events ultimately leading to the tornado's dissipation.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Passing through El Reno and had to make this stop obviously; a touching memorial, though honestly it's such a sad lonely feeling here, I still remember 5/31/13 ao vividly and the weight of reality is on full display here

IMG_20230402_235328430.jpg

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A fun moment from Storm-a-Paloosa in Alabama last week. Brad Travis at WAFF-48 showed what a true Chief Meteorologist has stuffed in their brain. While tracking a tornado in NW Alabama, he mentioned this "it will pass near the paper plant, well actually the old paper plant that now makes hypersonic missiles" It is quite the transition from a paper plant to a hypersonic missile plant but I love that he and other great mets have that local knowledge to give people landmarks.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My poor 7 year old is confused by how the weather works already. “Mom, it was stormy last night so why isn’t it cold today?”
I'm the same way now when it's warm one day and cold the next, like "there was supposed to be a tornado between these two".

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A fun moment from Storm-a-Paloosa in Alabama last week. Brad Travis at WAFF-48 showed what a true Chief Meteorologist has stuffed in their brain. While tracking a tornado in NW Alabama, he mentioned this "it will pass near the paper plant, well actually the old paper plant that now makes hypersonic missiles" It is quite the transition from a paper plant to a hypersonic missile plant but I love that he and other great mets have that local knowledge to give people landmarks.
Say what you will about the military-industrial complex, but I bet the hypersonic missile plant smells a lot better

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Such warm sunny days with very cool mornings these last few days in the dry northwest flow pattern; I love looking at the 500mb map and it's pretty clear today why there's a wind advisory today, very distinct shortwave sliding through and the sunny dry conditions in the northwest flow are helping the energy from the shortwave mix down. Weather can be neat even on clear days lol

Screenshot_20230502-122226-833.png

Avon

Reaction score
Absolutely love mother nature giving southern michigan a big middle finger for rain for the next 10 days per gfs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_022500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_022500_Chrome.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 0
Back