• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This is what's left of the system that brought terrible flooding to Greece and other places and then muscled up over the Mediterranean.

It's still deadly.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
More on that storm -- Along with the video, posted two hours ago, this media outlet (Pulzo) reports more than 2,000 dead and 5,000 missing in Libya.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Think the toll is even worse now.

Here's Daniel making landfall -- in the Sahara:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Lakes...in the Sahara.

The system's precipitation reportedly earlier had turned Greece's Thessalonika Plain into one big lake, too.

Edit: The death toll is horrendous; amid other flooding, two dams gave way and washed at least two towns into the sea.

Here is the AGU's landslide blogger on those dams:

:(

Last edited:

akt1985

Reaction score
Watching the Bama at Univ. of South Florida game, I’m shocked there hasn’t been a lightning delay yet. The way the Crimson Tide is playing so far, they would probably welcome a weather delay.

Now a lightning delay to start the 2nd quarter.

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
James Spann retweeted some amazing video from that delay -- no lightning noticed, but the rain was incredible!

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Big speculation alert -- and by someone who doesn't know much weather science, too.

I didn't dare put this in the Lee thread, but after reading this from a reliable source, couldn't help thinking of how well models showed the hurricane's course once it got out of Godzilla mode.

And I wondered: What if they were just as accurate early on, too? You know, this huge, 200-mph monster.

And what if there is a factor or factors that we don't know about yet (not metaphysical, jes' plain mortal and subject to human observation and scientific analysis) that kicks in during such an extreme event and somehow moves it towards the intensity spectrum's central and most highly populated area?

If scientists can hypothesize about the universe healing itself to prevent time-travel paradoxes -- that is an interesting article linked above -- why not speculate about a hurricane-moderating factor, at least in the Atlantic basin, at least when SSTs (and probably other conditions IDK) are outside their normal ranges?

If something meteorological exists along those lines, it wouldn't have been observed yet for the same reason that supereruptions haven't been observed yet: an inverse relationship between intensity and frequency.

Our models therefore can't pick it up yet, so they just show the before and afterwards states? And we missed the factor because we don't know about it yet and don't know how to look for it?

To find something, one must first have an idea of what it might look like (although "This is weird..." moments are:cool: ).

I am by no means proposing this is true. It's just an interesting idea I had, and those are always worth throwing out there. Take it FWIW, which probably isn't much ;)

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
So welcome now. (Check back in February or March, and you might get a different answer.)

Pretty, too!

Reaction score
Not particularly recent or notable in the scheme of things. But I've always found this a little interesting in regards to TWC's 2013-14 winter storm names. (Remember, they were submitted to TWC by Bozeman High's Latin club)

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 19-02-55 Winter Storm Names 2013-14 What They Are and What They Mean ...png

I'm pretty sure Dion was shortened from Dionysus, but I've always wondered what the other names that were replaced were, and what Titan was pre-modification. That said the BHLC basically entirely drew their names from Greek, Roman and generally classical mythology so that may narrow things down a slight amount. I also know that for 2014-15, the BHLC-submitted Bella was replaced by Bozeman as a shout-out to the school (it was mentioned by the BHLC's teacher in one of the 2014-15 name reveal articles) and in another article it was mentioned that Daphne was the student chosen D name (although it could've been confused with Delphi) and Yolo (yes, after the acronym) was put on the list by TWC themselves, who apparently also slightly tinker with other names on the list.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This article on tornadoes really helps me understand some of the terms folks use here, and also there is so much information! :cool:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was digging through some old photos of mine and came across this one I took in Highland, CA years back (I'd like to say June of 2018?)
unnamed.jpg

Considering the funnel shape itself disappeared minutes after I took this photo, I'd like to say this was possibly a cold air funnel, but I'll probably never know for sure...

Gail

Reaction score
None of my kids ever seemed interested in the weather when they were growing up (one is still growing up)…despite my fascination and education in meteorology. I tried to put the awe and interest/healthy respect into them, but it never took off. Well, my son joined the Air Force. His long-term goal is to commission and become a pilot, but for his enlistment time, he picked Weather. (Color me shocked). He picked it because he thought that field would help him most as a pilot out of the options available.

He’s at tech school at Keesler now, and he *loves* it so much! He calls/Facetimes me daily to talk about what they’ve learned, and he bounces questions and thoughts off of me. He’s acing all of his measurement tests. It’s been so much fun bonding with him over this the last few months! I adore watching his interest and love of atmospheric sciences develop and grow. I love the “Mom, you never told me this was so interesting.” “Seriously?!?…I did your entire life.”

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This happens when you're in the midst of your third atmospheric river in about a week. Thanks to the huge Alaskan Gulf low that brought us 65° temps, though!

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The Coast Guard was called to rescue four people trapped at home but had to first divert to rescue someone trapped in their truck. Not sure how that happened, but it's a good reminder: Turn. Around. Don't. Drown.

Logo 468x120
Back