• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Weather Banter

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not quite sure where to put this. Clemson University launched a couple rockets to study the atmosphere and certain aspects of the WX. Can't embed but Greenville Journal article is linked HERE

Jacob

Reaction score
Had a severe storm produce some large hail and and strong winds in the Salt Lake Valley today, it also had some decent rotation at times. I was playing golf at Bonneville Golf Course in the NE corner of the valley and could see the lowering. Unfortunately the people running the tournament waited until lightning was within 3 miles before calling us off the course. I wasn't happy about that, but anyhow.

Here's a picture from twitter of the storm. There's some pretty cool pictures of it floating around

FxubSDDXgAYsTEr

akt1985

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the season finale of Young Sheldon? A tornado hits the fictional city of Medford in eastern Texas where the show is set. For those who saw it, what would you rate it and since it took place after school got out for the summer, if this were a real tornado, is late May/early June still on schedule for tornadoes in east Texas or kind of late in the season for that region?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So yeah this whole wildfire smoke thing is getting kind of old. Second day in a row with an AQI worse than 150 here (it was well over 200 for a lot of the day today). I took these photos leaving work yesterday and it's worse today.

352241057_800673614681683_6056540454213846368_n.jpg
352521736_622017366536106_6345604615181230644_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Local guy does good!
Gerald Mengel, 19, is studying for his Meteorological degree in Charlotte, and while out chasing yesterday he caught this:

WYFF 4 News Vid- Funnel forming

His Youtube channel is listed in the article text; give him a subscription!

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Hard to read all of these posts talking about rain and storms when we are dead underneath the ridge and stuck in the 100° range for the next week or two. Somebody please move the overall weather pattern so maybe you won't have to have all the floods to yourself.

Jacob

Reaction score
I *think* I just experienced a bit of a heat burst. Was about to fall asleep when the winds kicked up suddenly, had to be gusting 40-50mph for a couple minutes. I went to check the weather station somebody has a street over from mine, and noticed the temp just shot up from 83 to 92. Dewpoint hasn’t hardly changed though.

Going from calm winds to 40+ gusts was quite a surprise though.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
129° would tie the highest fully verified uncontroversial surface measured temperature on earth (probably 134° is the record but not all agencies fully accept it)

Low of 101° also a bit unpleasant

Screenshot_20230715-143536.png

WeatherStory2 (1).png

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Only recreation I'd be doing that weekend is packing up to move somewhere where it's never 129°.

Jacob

Reaction score
Really ramping up the “humidity” out here in Utah this week. Dewpoints are all the way up to the low 50s today :D

Might get upper 50s Dewpoints tomorrow or Wednesday as a surge of monsoonal moisture swings through.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
:) From this morning's Portland NWS FD:

Aside from smoke and tropical concerns (am I still writing a
discussion for the Pac NW?) -
PS: This is the smoke they were talking about; it arrived here in Corvallis last evening and now is mixing down. Not as bad as the Labor Day fires a couple years ago, but these Canadian and Washingtonian fumes are completely hiding the Coastal Region that rises up near my shopping center:

img_20230820_133131.jpg

Marine layer inflow, in part thanks to Hilary's remnants east of the Cascades, will clear it overnight. and tomorrow, per Portland NWS.

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I was so gosh-darn proud of how well we handled our dry 102° heat wave last week here in West Central Oregon. Then I checked the current NWS Tuscaloosa page just now.

Makes us look sort of like penguins.

Anyway, I can't send ice to help out but thought of this video that a British Columbia photographer I follow posted recently. The Black Warrior it isn't, but that flowing water and conifer scenery is cooling.

PS: The reason I follow this person is because those rivers run to the sea, and along the coast there, he films sea wolves (Alaska has them, too).

This is by someone else, but...wolves howling at the cold sea's edge:

Back