• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Weather Banter

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Finally getting around to learning VHS to digital conversion, have an obscene amount of 'vintage' Spann coverage from 2006-2013ish I need to get posted when the hardware for such arrives and I learn how to work with it - if the old tapes still work - nearly all of which is apparently not posted anywhere on the internet; if I don't report back with progress in a month please harass me to make progress on this project

IMG_20220404_153046255_HDR.jpg

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
Finally getting around to learning VHS to digital conversion, have an obscene amount of 'vintage' Spann coverage from 2006-2013ish I need to get posted when the hardware for such arrives and I learn how to work with it - if the old tapes still work - nearly all of which is apparently not posted anywhere on the internet; if I don't report back with progress in a month please harass me to make progress on this project

View attachment 13143
Do you have April 15, 2011 spann coverage by any chance? Impressive collection

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

View attachment 13143

If you will put out feelers to production houses, independent producers/editors, and tv stations you might find a production quality VHS deck to use. Don't forget repair shops too.

Reaction score
My radarscope is having issues saying that there are no warnings and not showing the storms. Dies anyone know what's going on here?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-222826_RadarScope.jpg
    Screenshot_20220429-222826_RadarScope.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I hate I'm missing the active weather pattern but I'm back in the hospital again with another infection on the same foot and scheduled for surgery on Wednesday morning. I've been in here since last Thursday night and just have gotten well enough to wanna pick a computer up. You guys keep a handle on it I'm enjoying reading even though I'm not able to follow along with you in real time.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I hate I'm missing the active weather pattern but I'm back in the hospital again with another infection on the same foot and scheduled for surgery on Wednesday morning. I've been in here since last Thursday night and just have gotten well enough to wanna pick a computer up. You guys keep a handle on it I'm enjoying reading even though I'm not able to follow along with you in real time.
Dude need you to get some rest and fight that infection. It is such an energy drain! Hope you get some R&R. We will try to keep you entertained.
Comments Popcorn GIF by HyperX

Jacob

Reaction score
Made the move to Utah about a week and a half ago. Highest the dewpoint has hit so far is 45, and this morning it snowed in the mountains and briefly in the valleys. Quite a different May weather wise than the previous 32 I experienced in Alabama.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Made the move to Utah about a week and a half ago. Highest the dewpoint has hit so far is 45, and this morning it snowed in the mountains and briefly in the valleys. Quite a different May weather wise than the previous 32 I experienced in Alabama.
Going to bottle some humidity and send it to you :)

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
You'll probably get more thunder and severe weather than we do, here under stable marine influence from the chilly Pacific -- hopefully, no tornadoes! Watch out for wildfires and earthquakes, though, particularly if you're near the Wasatch Fault (Salt Lake City region).

I miss thunder -- never thought I'd say that after hiding in my safe place listening to it literally peal like a bell overhead during severe Alabama T-storms. Now, we get maybe a rumble every 13-14 months or so.

Jacob

Reaction score
Going to bottle some humidity and send it to you :)

Have to say, so far I don't miss the humidity one bit, heh. It hit lower 80's today, with dewpoints in the low 30's, and it felt fantastic. I ventured up into the mountains this afternoon and it was around 60 degrees with low humidity. Despite a poor winter here for snow, they still had quite a bit of snow coverage at the top of the canyon. The picture below is from Alta Ski Resort, which is closed for the season, but not because of a lack of snow.

image0-8.jpg

Jacob

Reaction score
You'll probably get more thunder and severe weather than we do, here under stable marine influence from the chilly Pacific -- hopefully, no tornadoes! Watch out for wildfires and earthquakes, though, particularly if you're near the Wasatch Fault (Salt Lake City region).

I miss thunder -- never thought I'd say that after hiding in my safe place listening to it literally peal like a bell overhead during severe Alabama T-storms. Now, we get maybe a rumble every 13-14 months or so.

It looks like I should hear thunder on about 1/4 to 1/3 as many days here as I did back in Alabama. I suspect the volume of lightning/thunder on those days is lower than what I'm use to in Alabama though. I have a love/hate relationship with storms and lightning, as my outdoor activity has always been golf, and I hate afternoon thunderstorms when I'm trying to play golf. I despise being a mile from shelter and a storm starts throwing lightning bolts out every direction. That said, if I'm at work or just relaxing around the house, I love a good afternoon thunderstorm.

I'm going to be living in Roy, Utah and working in North Salt Lake (actually spending this month living in South Jordan, UT, but moving to a permanent house at the end of the month), so yeah I'll be right near the Wasatch Fault. Hopefully we'll avoid any big earthquakes.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Speaking of wood...

The graphic just shows the West, but at the website there is flood and fire info for Alabama and other states, too (though ? if it will be news for anyone).

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Speaking of wood...

The graphic just shows the West, but at the website there is flood and fire info for Alabama and other states, too (though ? if it will be news for anyone).

That is an awesome find!!! I love this!!

Jacob

Reaction score
Speaking of wood...

That's pretty interesting. I'm a 1/10 for flooding and 3/10 for fire at my new location. There's not a ton of vegetation in the area we are going to be living, so it is mostly a brush fire threat there.

Also, 91/61 at the at the Birmingham airport currently. 79/30 at the Ogden airport currently. Enjoying that before the summer heat sets in.

Jacob

Reaction score
Quite the whipsaw here near Ogden, UT over the next week. It’s been in the low 90s for the last couple days, but highs the next few days will be 75, 68, 77. Then by Friday this week we’ll probably be near 100.

Back