Logo 468x120

Svr Wx threat March 24-26th 2024

Reaction score
Apparently DDC missed another tornado warning tonight. Early reports were saying it was just a landspout but the videos and pictures I've seen thus far sure look like low end tornado damage.

It being a landspout would be no excuse, since a landspout *is* a tornado by definition since it meets all the criteria (unlike, say, a 'gustnado'), although they are less likely to be strong/violent than mesocyclonic tornadoes. I don't recall there being anything in the NWS bylaws stating you can only warn for mesocyclonic tornadoes...

buckeye05

Reaction score
Apparently DDC missed another tornado warning tonight. Early reports were saying it was just a landspout but the videos and pictures I've seen thus far sure look like low end tornado damage.
Their rebuttal: “No”

All kidding aside, a landspout IS a low-end tornado and is every bit as eligible for a Tornado Warning as a mesocyclonic one.

I think the word “landspout” sometimes gets misused as a “cover our butts” term to make missed warnings seem more excusable. The Montebello, CA EF1 last year was falsely slapped with the “landspout” label despite clearly being a mesocyclonic tornado spawned by a low topped supercell. Warning was missed on that one too. The 2015 Moore EF2 was “a mix of straight line winds and gustnadoes” until it was undeniable that a strong tornado had occurred. Missed warning as well.

After a while you start to see a bit of a pattern of diminutive/dismissive wording when it comes to damaging tornadoes that weren’t warned.

Last edited:
Back