• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Svr Wx threat April 1-April 2 2024

Clancy

Reaction score
I'm currently a 1st year meteorology student. Is there any reason as to why CSU has drastically different risk areas from the SPC?
It's merely because the analog-based algorithms used to determine those threat contours are dependent upon model data (updated twice per day), causing them to differ, sometimes drastically, from the overall geometry of SPC outlook areas.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Something rather ominous about having a potential significant severe event in the Ohio Valley on the day before the 50th anniversary of the 1974 Super Outbreak.

F

Former Member 1430

Something rather ominous about having a potential significant severe event in the Ohio Valley on the day before the 50th anniversary of the 1974 Super Outbreak.
I had the exact same thought. I’ll be curious to see how models pan out over the next 24 hours

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
while i suspect most of the threat on tuesday will occur east of cincinnati, it's certainly got my ears perked up
it would be nice if this doesn't age poorly. the environment in the cincinnati area is gradually growing more concerning and a shift of only a few hours could bring us firmly into play.

JPWX

Reaction score
18z HRRR at 48 hours
18z RRFS at 51 hours

Attachments

• RRFS-A Simulated Radar Simulated Radar 51.png
    RRFS-A Simulated Radar Simulated Radar 51.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HRRR 3-km Simulated Radar Simulated Radar 48.png
    HRRR 3-km Simulated Radar Simulated Radar 48.png
    640.9 KB · Views: 0

Brice W

Reaction score
Meanwhile the 12z RRFS has supercells moving through yours truly's backyard on Tuesday. To be honest, it does show my concern.
The way the structure of the supercells reminds me so much of what the RRFS looked probably of the 4/28/2014 high risk outbreak. Nasty.

Clancy

Reaction score
06Z runs of CAMs show a concerning increase in the favorability of wind fields for tornadoes across AL and GA, with more curved hodos out ahead of convection. If that trend holds, could mean a more substantial tornado threat for the South.
Edit: Likewise, 03Z SREF guidance trended more favorable for tornadoes across Alabama and Georgia.