• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

andyhb

Reaction score
There are some decent pics of the Berryville aftermath.

Oct%2029,%201942%20Berryville%20toronado%201%20001.jpg

Oct%2029,%201942%20Berryville%20toronado%202%20001.jpg

Oct%2029,%201942%20Berryville%20toronado%204%20001.jpg

10-29-1942%20toronado%20Handby%27s%20bundfalos.jpg

Oct%2029,%201942%20Berryville%20toronado%209%20001.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone have photos of the "plausible EF5" homes swept away by the Chickasha-Blanchard tornado? All I could find are two photos, one of a home that clearly had anchoring issues (no nuts or washers) and a photo that is too low resolution to be conclusive. Regardless however the contextual damage from this tornado was extremely violent and likely well into the EF5 category.
Chickasha-damage-bolted-home.JPG
Chickasha-damage-foundation-slab.JPG

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Today is the 32nd anniversary of the F4 that went down Airport Road in Huntsville during rush hour.

This tornado was responsible for taking 21 lives, but is indirectly responsible for saving thousands upon thousands of people in the years after. This specific tornado is what pushed Bob Baron to start his company, which innovated things like storm tracks with times of arrival, street-level mapping with radar, lightning data overlaid with radar, algorithms to interrogate and track gate-to-gate shear, and many of the other things that have become the industry standard when doing broadcast live severe weather coverage.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Anyone have photos of the "plausible EF5" homes swept away by the Chickasha-Blanchard tornado? All I could find are two photos, one of a home that clearly had anchoring issues (no nuts or washers) and a photo that is too low resolution to be conclusive. Regardless however the contextual damage from this tornado was extremely violent and likely well into the EF5 category.
View attachment 10712
View attachment 10713
This is the plausible EF5 home.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is the plausible EF5 home.
It looks like the amount of debris left/on near the foundation would mitigate an EF5 rating unless the home was "exceptionally" well-constructed. I do however note what looks like debris granulation near the foreground, and if it is, it's some of the most incredible debris granulation I have ever seen.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
It looks like the amount of debris left/on near the foundation would mitigate an EF5 rating unless the home was "exceptionally" well-constructed. I do however note what looks like debris granulation near the foreground, and if it is, it's some of the most incredible debris granulation I have ever seen.
Some of the anchor bolts were missing washers and the sill plate attachments used cut nails.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Yes, the debris granulation was Incredible in this place, even the brick itself was split apart. Chickasha was one of only several tornados that can scour asphalt from several roads continuely.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some of the anchor bolts were missing washers and the sill plate attachments used cut nails.
I did note anchor bolts missing nuts and washers on the first photo I posted, and I presume the photo of the house you posted was a different one? Or is it the same house before and post cleanup?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yes, the debris granulation was Incredible in this place, even the brick itself was split apart. Chickasha was one of only several tornados that can scour asphalt from several roads continuely.
Off the top of my head the only other tornado I can think of that granulated bricks in such a fashion is Smithville.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I have heard that the Picher tornado damaged or dislodged part of a home's foundation. Is this the correct photo?
usa-oklahoma-picher-foundational-concrete-slab-house-destroyed-by-D77KGA.jpg
That’s not the one unfortunately. In the photo that shows it, the foundation is noticeably thin, but is clearly buckled. I think a bathtub is visible in it too? It’s a shame that the photos on the NWS event page no longer work.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That’s not the one unfortunately. In the photo that shows it, the foundation is noticeably thin, but is clearly buckled. I think a bathtub is visible in it too? It’s a shame that the photos on the NWS event page no longer work.
Okay I think I know the photo you are referring to. Assuming this is the right one, I never knew what it actually showed:
IMG_0408.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
Okay I think I know the photo you are referring to. Assuming this is the right one, I never knew what it actually showed:
IMG_0408.jpg
Yup that’s the one. There’s a second angle where you can see a portion of tiled concrete floor cracked and buckled too.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Some damage photos from the Greensburg KS EF5 which I don't think they had ever been published by someone else, mostly in rural areas.I cannot confirm whether these photos are belongs to the south of the town or to the north of the town.
IMG_20211116_112824.jpgIMG_20211116_112522.jpgIMG_20211116_113016.jpgIMG_20211116_113140.jpg
10737_68619994476532f2b66c1437419de3ba.jpg

IMG_20211116_114020.jpgIMG_20211116_113910.jpgIMG_20211116_114113.jpg
One more mangled car.
IMG_20211116_105858.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_113259.jpg
    IMG_20211116_113259.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 0

pohnpei

Reaction score
Well that certainly makes the Greensburg tornado damage higher than marginal EF5.
Yes, I never buy the idea that Greensburg was marginal EF5. At least Rainsville was much marginal than that.
The reason was:
1 peak intensity likely reached south side of town with significant scouring and 4 well built EF5 rating houses swept clean with trees totally debarked.
2 Tim Marshall mentioned that the high school in town was the strongest he ever seen and almost got EF5 rating itself. We know how many tornados he surveyed and how many violent and EF5 tornados came across school in the past.
3 Theoretically, giving the same wind speed, It's harder for tornados with big RMW do same level damage with small one, especially structure damage. Greensburg still holds the widest EF4 path since EF scale began.
4 Now we know this tornado capable of bent railway and throw cambine and harvest around.
So It was at least not a marginal one to me.

scouring south side of the town.
E4CSElkVgAI_hZX.jpegE4CRi8MUUAQpXuU (1).jpeg
Another fire hydrant damage, not like the former one, this one likely not simply knock down by debris.
E0lKqKcXsAYNM5P.png
high school damage
image-15.jpgimage-16.jpg

Last edited:
Back