• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Some tree damage found in the track of the Gaotang, Shandong Province, all of which were hardwood trees, the tornado hit a forestry center and completely wipe it out. We've found at least two signicant tornadoes in Gaotang area and this one may be EF3+.
IMG_20210713_104653.jpgIMG_20210713_104713.jpgIMG_20210713_105221.jpg
Concrete telephone poles were broken, car was thrown more than 100 yards into the woods
IMG_20210713_105250.jpg1f7fa12afccc13f8.jpg
Little did I know the injuries and fatalities, but I heard there have already been over 30 injuries/fatalities in just one single village.
Thanks to social media, we've now confirmed 18 tors during this outbreak and still counting, including possibly 3 EF3s and 10+ EF2s.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Some tree damage found in the track of the Gaotang, Shandong Province, all of which were hardwood trees, the tornado hit a forestry center and completely wipe it out. We've found at least two signicant tornadoes in Gaotang area and this one may be EF3+.
View attachment 9990View attachment 9991View attachment 9992
Concrete telephone poles were broken, car was thrown more than 100 yards into the woods
View attachment 9993View attachment 9994
Little did I know the injuries and fatalities, but I heard there have already been over 30 injuries/fatalities in just one single village.
Thanks to social media, we've now confirmed 18 tors during this outbreak and still counting, including possibly 3 EF3s and 10+ EF2s.
Oh wow that’s pretty impressive and devastating. I believe this is China’s worst tornado outbreak this year since the May 14-15 outbreak.

zvl5316

Reaction score
Was the death toll from Funing 2016 really 99? Such a weird figure, and part of me wonders if they didn’t want the official toll to go into the triple digits.
The details of the casualty was 98 were killed in Funing EF4 and 1 was killed in Sheyang EF3+. From what I know, probably 2 or 3 critical injuries passed away several days or weeks after the casualty was announced. I also heard that the body of a young man was found in river in Funing one week after the casualty was announced from local people but I am not very sure whether the tornado or criminal activity/suiside killed him.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Me and my friend collected information from mass media like tiktok and weibo, drew a chart to document how many tornadoes occurred in China this year, and so far, we've documented 114.While the long term year average for Chinese tornado number remains near 43, 2021 just spent less than 3 months spawning 2.62 times than that.It's maybe the most active tornado season nationalwide for this century. With the tornado outbreak still currently ongoing in Shandong Province, this number could easily break 120.
5.15 should be remarkable day, 30 tors (including suspected ones) were confirmed along Yangtze River through multiple Province
View attachment 9989
Update: We've now confirmed 23 tornadoes during this one and a half day period outbreak, 17 tornadoes occurred in Shandong Province, it's the largest outbreak in this Province alone since 8/26/1987 (the day when 50 tors touched down in Shandong Province).Based on the damage on the social media which I could find, AT LEAST 5 EF3+ was given and another AT LEAST 5 EF2+ was given. Two tornadoes in ShenXian(high end EF3&EF2), at least two tornadoes in Gaotang(both EF3+), at least four tornadoes in Zhanhua(two EF2, one EF3+, one possibly EF4).Again, this is the preliminary finding and personal rating.With the aid of this great outbreak, the total number of tornado in Chinese climbed up to 138.
db425045f3a0c47.png
-fe93796ccde8b9.jpg
-332c04032140224b.png6b2e1fbfaebe0a54.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Update: We've now confirmed 23 tornadoes during this one and a half day period outbreak, 17 tornadoes occurred in Shandong Province, it's the largest outbreak in this Province alone since 8/26/1987 (the day when 50 tors touched down in Shandong Province).Based on the damage on the social media which I could find, AT LEAST 5 EF3+ was given and another AT LEAST 5 EF2+ was given. Two tornadoes in ShenXian(high end EF3&EF2), at least two tornadoes in Gaotang(both EF3+), at least four tornadoes in Zhanhua(two EF2, one EF3+, one possibly EF4).Again, this is the preliminary finding and personal rating.With the aid of this great outbreak, the total number of tornado in Chinese climbed up to 138.
View attachment 9996
View attachment 9997
View attachment 9998View attachment 9999
Oh wow another large outbreak for China, This season is just never-ending for you guys. Also has any damage information come out about the Zhalantun tornado?

Reaction score
I need help here; I remember seeing a video of a F3 or so wedge tornado that occurred in Texas in the late 90s, and it passed directly over a probe that recorded the sound of the tornado; apparently it was the first time the sound of a tornado was directly recorded from the ground by a scientific instrument at such close range.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I need help here; I remember seeing a video of a F3 or so wedge tornado that occurred in Texas in the late 90s, and it passed directly over a probe that recorded the sound of the tornado; apparently it was the first time the sound of a tornado was directly recorded from the ground by a scientific instrument at such close range.
Roger Edwards’ Dillo-Cam video on May 25, 1997. It was not in Texas, but near the town of Perth, Kansas. The video is on YouTube.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I hate making posts like these because they don't really add anything of value, but I'm super excited and wanted to share. I talked to a bunch of people from the Tionesta area over the last few days and several of them independently confirmed that there was at least one photo (maybe more) taken of the tornado as it crossed the Allegheny River just north of Tionesta. A few of them had seen the photo(s) personally back in the day, so I know they exist. This was the first I'd ever heard of them.

Of course, now the problem is actually tracking them down, which I wouldn't say I'm terribly optimistic about. Two of the people I talked to said they knew someone who used to have the photo(s), though, so maybe something will come of that. I hope so because Tionesta produced arguably some of the most impressive contextual damage of any tornado that day. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Reaction score

buckeye05

Reaction score
This F2 tornado occurred on the same day as the Hrusky/Hodonin F4. It occurred in Poland and struck the towns of Koniuszowa and Librantowa. It was a visually spectacular tornado that would have received more attention on its own had there not been a violent, long-tracked F4 that same day.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Was sent some photos by a Tionesta resident recently and I figured I might as well post them here since the quality is quite poor and I dunno if I'll use them in my article.

Western bank of the Allegheny River, just north of Tionesta:

gregory-hyatt-1.jpg

This one is interesting because it was taken near Pigeon Hill, which is an area where several people said that a lot of trees were debarked and denuded. Certainly a lot of whitish trunks here, but obviously you can't really make out any detail:

gregory-hyatt-2.jpg

A structure destroyed in the German Hill area. He said it was a house but it's hard to tell. Eventually I'll compare w/my better quality photos to see if it matches up with any structures there:

gregory-hyatt-5.jpg

Same general area but I believe it's closer to the southern edge of the track:

gregory-hyatt-6.jpg

Further along past Starr:

gregory-hyatt-3.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
The Beaver Falls F3(+) reportedly produced some spotty ground scouring in a few different areas along its path. One of those areas was at a farm very near where the conversion van was thrown from I-79 south of Zelienople. The farm itself was only sort of sideswiped, but this is the back side heading toward the interstate. It's a little ambiguous, but looks like possibly some scoured soil on the right side.

192250258-3819163011546508-2185533917592869493-n2.jpg

andyhb

Reaction score

Great pics here of the Oakfield, WI F5 that I've never seen before, which happened 25 years ago today.

Reaction score
The Beaver Falls F3(+) reportedly produced some spotty ground scouring in a few different areas along its path. One of those areas was at a farm very near where the conversion van was thrown from I-79 south of Zelienople. The farm itself was only sort of sideswiped, but this is the back side heading toward the interstate. It's a little ambiguous, but looks like possibly some scoured soil on the right side.

192250258-3819163011546508-2185533917592869493-n2.jpg
The area that might be scoured soil also looks like there may have been some sort of Philadelphia-esque trenches dug, or it could just be remains of trees, not sure. Probably just my imagination getting ahead of me yet again.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Cool, TX EF1 of March 7, 2016? Probably not, but it was a QLCS tornado that never had a tornado warning issued.

What was truly bizarre was the way the local NWS office handled it. There was a clear tornadic circulation on radar, but the WFO refused to acknowledge a tornado threat. Instead, they issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning noting that it was capable of producing “rotating tornado like winds”.

After digging around trying to find out what this was about, I heard from a met on another forum that had an idea of what was going on. Apparently there is a small group of people within the professional meteorology field that believe that QLCS tornadoes are not “true tornadoes”, but a separate phenomenon. So it became apparent that there was at least one employee at the WFO responsible for that warning that was imposing this viewpoint into the warning text, and refused to acknowledge this event as a true tornado as it was occurring. One of the most insane things I’ve ever heard of.

Anyone else ever heard of this? It’s mind boggling to me.

Edit: After viewing a radar loop of the event, it appears that a tornado warning was actually issued, but not until the tornado was exiting town.

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
The area that might be scoured soil also looks like there may have been some sort of Philadelphia-esque trenches dug, or it could just be remains of trees, not sure. Probably just my imagination getting ahead of me yet again.
Yeah, it's just bits of trees. The man who lived on the farm just west of this one said clumps of trees near the center of the path were "shredded like a paper shredder." I did find a few independent accounts from the Niles-Wheatland tornado that sound suspiciously like Philadelphia-type trenches (probably not as extensive based on descriptions), but no photos of them yet.

I think I also might've found a tornado southeast of Alliance, OH that wasn't documented. One person who lived north of Homeworth said they saw a pretty large cone; they couldn't see the lowest portion of it but they thought it was on the ground for at least a few minutes. Another woman said she remembered a swath of trees being snapped and twisted pretty badly along the Mahoning River in the same general area. Probably impossible to 100% verify at this point, but pretty interesting.

Back