• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

locomusic01

Reaction score
When do you think you will be finished with the 1985 Northeast Outbreak article?
Very confident it won't be seven years like it was between my Woodward and Mahina articles. Well, pretty confident. Probably.

But seriously, I have no idea. Gotta pay the bills, unfortunately. Hopefully close to being done with the bulk of the research, which is the most time-consuming part. I've got a few sections of the article written and the writing itself doesn't take that long.

I'd guess probably toward the end of the month if I can put off some work, but I dunno.

Reaction score
Very confident it won't be seven years like it was between my Woodward and Mahina articles. Well, pretty confident. Probably.

But seriously, I have no idea. Gotta pay the bills, unfortunately. Hopefully close to being done with the bulk of the research, which is the most time-consuming part. I've got a few sections of the article written and the writing itself doesn't take that long.

I'd guess probably toward the end of the month if I can put off some work, but I dunno.

This article involves Joplin but the comment section below mentions an extremely impressive bit of damage from Wheatland, this is assuming, of course the poster isn't making it up.

The comment in question:

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 18-23-26 Tornado in Joplin (36 pics).png

locomusic01

Reaction score
This article involves Joplin but the comment section below mentions an extremely impressive bit of damage from Wheatland, this is assuming, of course the poster isn't making it up.
I can't vouch for the specifics, but I don't think they're making it up. I've heard similar things from people who worked there, just with different details. In fact, one thing that lends some credibility is that Yourga had high-capacity forklifts that allowed them to load entire truckloads at once. One of the people I talked to specifically said they were rated for 55,000 lbs and that a lot of their loads were just under that.

FelipeFreitas

Reaction score
Another likely violent Brazilian tornado is the 8/13/1959 Palmas tornado. This tornado devastated farms with numerous homes reported to have literally vanished. Groves of trees were shredded with some being debarked, a 5-ton tractor was thrown 76 yards, and 35 people were killed. There were two other potentially significant tornadoes on the same day in Southern Brazil. I do wonder if there has been more F5s in Brazil/Argentina than just the 1973 San Justo tornado.
The August 1959 event was possibly a derecho with associated tornadoes. There was a record of wind damage in all states in the southern and southeastern regions of Brazil.

On the map below I only put places where there were injuries or deaths.

More than 80 people died on that day, with +65 between the cities of Palmas, Canoinhas and Porto União possibly due to a tornado.

Attachments

• 1959.JPG
    1959.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 0

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The August 1959 event was possibly a derecho with associated tornadoes. There was a record of wind damage in all states in the southern and southeastern regions of Brazil.

On the map below I only put places where there were injuries or deaths.

More than 80 people died on that day, with +65 between the cities of Palmas, Canoinhas and Porto União possibly due to a tornado.
All the tornadoes seem like they were associated with a wave of supercells.

Reaction score
I can't vouch for the specifics, but I don't think they're making it up. I've heard similar things from people who worked there, just with different details. In fact, one thing that lends some credibility is that Yourga had high-capacity forklifts that allowed them to load entire truckloads at once. One of the people I talked to specifically said they were rated for 55,000 lbs and that a lot of their loads were just under that.
Wonder if you'll get photographs of damage like that sent to you eventually.
Also, you don't need to get too specific so as not to ruin your article but have you been able to find photographs of extreme automobile damage from this tornado? I've read reports of it throwing vehicles significant distances but haven't found much photographs of that. Or, have you found any pictures of automobiles ripped in half, stripped down to their frame, etc.? Really surprising there isn't a whole lot of easily available photographs of that from this tornado. Have you also found pictures of heavy industrial equipment or vehicles like the kind you mention being thrown and rolled large distances and being mangled beyond repair? Again, don't have to be too specific so your article isn't spoiled lol.
Another thing, for the Moshannon State Forest tornado have you found any photographs of man-made structures (if any) it encountered and destroyed? Did it sweep away any homes or log cabins, take down fire watch towers, radio truss towers, etc? I'm just curious as to what the basis for the F4 rating for this thing was beyond tree damage (if there was any basis beyond that)? Sorry for the rambling just curious for any new and exciting details you've uncovered in your research.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about a rating for the June 1 Shangzhi, China tornado? It was clearly significant.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about a rating for the June 1 Shangzhi, China tornado? It was clearly significant.
It was rated EF3 as far as I know. But the details about the path remain to be determined at this point. It possiblely climbed over severe hills and changed its apperance several times along with a little bizarre track.

pohnpei

Reaction score
The survey result just came out with one EF3 tornado tracked 51km in 55mins climbing over numerous hills. Another EF2 tornado nearby tracked 5km in 15mins. The rating was still preliminary.
mmexport1623134420330.png
mmexport1623134952391.jpg

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Wonder if you'll get photographs of damage like that sent to you eventually.
Also, you don't need to get too specific so as not to ruin your article but have you been able to find photographs of extreme automobile damage from this tornado? I've read reports of it throwing vehicles significant distances but haven't found much photographs of that. Or, have you found any pictures of automobiles ripped in half, stripped down to their frame, etc.? Really surprising there isn't a whole lot of easily available photographs of that from this tornado. Have you also found pictures of heavy industrial equipment or vehicles like the kind you mention being thrown and rolled large distances and being mangled beyond repair? Again, don't have to be too specific so your article isn't spoiled lol.
Another thing, for the Moshannon State Forest tornado have you found any photographs of man-made structures (if any) it encountered and destroyed? Did it sweep away any homes or log cabins, take down fire watch towers, radio truss towers, etc? I'm just curious as to what the basis for the F4 rating for this thing was beyond tree damage (if there was any basis beyond that)? Sorry for the rambling just curious for any new and exciting details you've uncovered in your research.
That's what's so frustrating. I've got numerous accounts confirming high-end damage to vehicles, machinery, etc. but not many photos of it. I've been tracking down every lead I possibly can, so we'll see what turns up. I'm sure someone out there has to have photos of it. That's why I've been trying to get in touch with Greg Forbes, too. He did most of the US surveys (along with Duane Stiegler, who I haven't been able to find yet).

Re: Moshannon, it totally blew away a couple of homes within minutes of touchdown. They weren't super well-built, but I believe that's where the F4 came from. Besides that, it was mostly a few scattered cabins. I have photos from a couple of homes further along the path, after the tornado went nuts and wedged out, but they were near the outer edges of the circulation (or possibly in the inflow region - hard to tell sometimes) and the damage wasn't that severe. Henry Margusity said that he had photos from Moshannon, but when he sent them they were such poor quality (apparently b&w photocopies?) I couldn't even tell what some of them were lol

I got a message from a guy who said his Winnebago was picked up and completely destroyed somewhere near Keating, but that's all I've heard from him so far.

zvl5316

Reaction score
That's what's so frustrating. I've got numerous accounts confirming high-end damage to vehicles, machinery, etc. but not many photos of it. I've been tracking down every lead I possibly can, so we'll see what turns up. I'm sure someone out there has to have photos of it. That's why I've been trying to get in touch with Greg Forbes, too. He did most of the US surveys (along with Duane Stiegler, who I haven't been able to find yet).

Re: Moshannon, it totally blew away a couple of homes within minutes of touchdown. They weren't super well-built, but I believe that's where the F4 came from. Besides that, it was mostly a few scattered cabins. I have photos from a couple of homes further along the path, after the tornado went nuts and wedged out, but they were near the outer edges of the circulation (or possibly in the inflow region - hard to tell sometimes) and the damage wasn't that severe. Henry Margusity said that he had photos from Moshannon, but when he sent them they were such poor quality (apparently b&w photocopies?) I couldn't even tell what some of them were lol

I got a message from a guy who said his Winnebago was picked up and completely destroyed somewhere near Keating, but that's all I've heard from him so far.
I heard that Moshannon State Forrest F4 damaged a nuclear facility NW of State College.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I heard that Moshannon State Forrest F4 damaged a nuclear facility NW of State College.
The PermaGrain facility in the Quehanna Wild Area, yeah. I'm still trying to find the inspection report, but from what I understand, it was mostly roof and siding damage. The tornado didn't strike it directly. There was also a fire, but it didn't cause any damage to the reactor. A trailer that was being used as an office nearby seems to be the only thing that was hard-hit.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Did it sweep away any homes or log cabins, take down fire watch towers, radio truss towers, etc? I'm just curious as to what the basis for the F4 rating for this thing was beyond tree damage (if there was any basis beyond that)?
Missed the bit about fire towers earlier. Yes, it destroyed the steel Coffin Rock fire tower in Sproul State Forest. Someone at DCNR said the office had photos of it but they must not have found them yet. Or maybe they forgot. I'll have to remind them again. Apparently it was pretty much mangled.

Reaction score
Missed the bit about fire towers earlier. Yes, it destroyed the steel Coffin Rock fire tower in Sproul State Forest. Someone at DCNR said the office had photos of it but they must not have found them yet. Or maybe they forgot. I'll have to remind them again. Apparently it was pretty much mangled.
I was gonna ask about that as Grazulis mentions a fire tower being toppled and mangled by this thing so nice to have a confirmation. Only wish photos of it were easily available. I'm sure there's a ton of photos from this thing in some state archives either in Pennsylvania or somewhere else that have yet to be scanned in.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I was gonna ask about that as Grazulis mentions a fire tower being toppled and mangled by this thing so nice to have a confirmation. Only wish photos of it were easily available. I'm sure there's a ton of photos from this thing in some state archives either in Pennsylvania or somewhere else that have yet to be scanned in.
It's absolutely maddening how many people/businesses/groups/etc. said that they had tons of photos but they either somehow got misplaced or thrown out over the years. Most people (aside from survivors obviously) have no real conception of the outbreak's significance - it's just "that tornado that happened in the 80s" or whatever. I even talked to a guy who took photos documenting the damage at the Sawhill plant for insurance, which probably would've been the best photos I could get my hands on outside of the damage survey, but he said they threw them all out once they were no longer needed. I felt like having a stroke lol

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
It's absolutely maddening how many people/businesses/groups/etc. said that they had tons of photos but they either somehow got misplaced or thrown out over the years. Most people (aside from survivors obviously) have no real conception of the outbreak's significance - it's just "that tornado that happened in the 80s" or whatever. I even talked to a guy who took photos documenting the damage at the Sawhill plant for insurance, which probably would've been the best photos I could get my hands on outside of the damage survey, but he said they threw them all out once they were no longer needed. I felt like having a stroke lol
I wonder why they didn’t seem to think it was a significant event or archive photographs

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of the most mysterious South American tornado events is the 12/11/1979 Villa Ciudad America tornado. This tornado is listed as an F4-F5 in one document.
unknown.png

Logo 468x120
Back