• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
The Harper, Kansas tornado of 2004 was on the ground for less than a mile and it caused some of the most extreme damage probably ever documented. I am not sure how anybody could have survived this tornado even in a basement but the people who owned that was swept away managed to on a park bench in the basement.
How long did it last. though? Was it stationary for much of its path?

pohnpei

Reaction score
Some vehicle damage and ground souring made by Berlin ND tornado on July 17 2011. This dark wedge tornado has been rated very high end EF3 and is very raraly mentioned now. Just one of the countless potential violent tornados in 2011.
2011071704.JPG2011071703.JPG2011071702.JPG20110717.JPG

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Some vehicle damage from the Kaiyuan tornado on July 3, 2019

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020_0602_000422.png
    Screenshot_2020_0602_000422.png
    771.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020_0602_000409.png
    Screenshot_2020_0602_000409.png
    461.3 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Though the car damage of Joplin may not be like El Reno/Andover/Bridge Creek level, it was still easy to find numerous bably mangled cars

I always amazed by this car damage naer Walmart which bent to U-shape and wrapped around a tree by wind. It must need increible wind force to do this.
View attachment 3662
Walmart
View attachment 3663
I am very agree on the opinion that Joplin was an EF5 tornado without a doubt. Maybe it was not the most intense damage occured in a morden city like extremplanet said because of the entreme damage made by Moore EF5 2013. Countless completely debarked trees and wind rowing pattern and all the other DIs were all very outstanding things. localmusic01 once had a good writing about Joplin tornado.
View attachment 3667
View attachment 3668

Yeah, Joplin didn't do anything along the lines of stripping vehicles to their frames, it was more a case of a tornado that goes through a large urban area has plenty of opportunities to smash them against various structures. I don't think the majority of vehicles thrown in Joplin traveled any more than a couple hundred yards at most, but they managed to be mangled in other impressive ways, like this:

Reaction score
Yeah, Joplin didn't do anything along the lines of stripping vehicles to their frames, it was more a case of a tornado that goes through a large urban area has plenty of opportunities to smash them against various structures. I don't think the majority of vehicles thrown in Joplin traveled any more than a couple hundred yards at most, but they managed to be mangled in other impressive ways, like this:

I don't know that one vehicle in that one vid looked like a big piece of tin foil.

pohnpei

Reaction score
EF4 tornado on July 8 2015 in Italy definitely had some of the most intense building damage I have seen in Europe.
tornado-Wenecja1-600x483.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
I am always wondeing the fact that why most violent tornados in Ohio Alley and Northeast Aera such as Rochelle IL in 2015, Henryville in 2012, Washinton IL in 2013, Peeryville IL in 2017, Wheatland-Niles OH-PA in 1985 or maybe includes Cookeville TN this year, can hardly find any high end tree debarking damage? Such damage like trees largely or completely debarked usually can be found in Great Plains and Dixie. I am having a hard time to find any largely debarked tree damage pictures in this area. Is it because tree species in these areas are different? Besides, all these tornados mentioned above had clear slabs but the overall vehicle damage was somehow weaker compared with most other violent tornados of the same damage level.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
June 16, 2014 will be remembered forever by magnificent Pilger Twins, but the increible vehicle damage made by Stanton EF4 tornado may reveals its relative higher ceiling despite a little bit slower in speed. These mangled vehicles has been threw over a quarter of a mile according to NCDC database.
103_94144_b3633fbcb90ce0d.jpg174654p90c5ycjz0wkefis.jpg
tree damage'stanton EF3 2.jpg
174622se8607i4qqj8n70v.jpg
house damage
QQ截图20181108193604.jpg

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
EF4 tornado on July 8 2015 in Italy definitely had some of the most intense building damage I have seen in Europe.
I really want to see some damage pictures from the 1984 outbreak in the Soviet Union, but I suspect they're still buried in the Russian archives if they exist at all. On the one hand I kind of suspect that the rumors about the damage were exaggerated and fueled by the kind of speculation that proliferated in the pre-Glasnost environment of media censorship, but on the other there's the possibility that the fact that it was pre-Glasnost meant that the damage really was that bad and the information was just suppressed.

Reaction score
June 16, 2014 will be remembered forever by magnificent Pilger Twins, but the increible vehicle damage made by Stanton EF4 tornado may reveals its relative higher ceiling despite a little bit slower in speed. These mangled vehicles has been threw over a quarter of a mile according to NCDC database.
View attachment 3707View attachment 3708
tree damage'View attachment 3706
View attachment 3709
house damage
View attachment 3710
Is that ground scouring or just plowed farmland in those pics?

Reaction score
I really want to see some damage pictures from the 1984 outbreak in the Soviet Union, but I suspect they're still buried in the Russian archives if they exist at all. On the one hand I kind of suspect that the rumors about the damage were exaggerated and fueled by the kind of speculation that proliferated in the pre-Glasnost environment of media censorship, but on the other there's the possibility that the fact that it was pre-Glasnost meant that the damage really was that bad and the information was just suppressed.
locomusic posted some on the first couple pages of this thread back in 2019, you can find more of them if you google 'торнадо Иваново 1984' (Tornado Ivanovo 1984). The majority are in B&W and don't seem all that impressive but some could be but it's hard to tell given the quality of the photographs and sketchiness of data given the time period. I copied & pasted a link to google images search result of tornadoes from this outbreak below:

'https://www.google.com/search?q=тор...XXrjIA82csQWv6LnoAw&bih=685&biw=1440&hl=en-US

buckeye05

Reaction score
Seems like grouding souring as I believe. Also can find board penetrate into the ground and some impressive grass souring in second pic which usually can be found in EF5 tornado.
Nah the second photo is not scouring. Muddy plowed farm field, corn to be exact.

Back