• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

pohnpei

Reaction score
Another overlooked tornado is the Roanoke, IL tornado of 2004. Completely demolished a manufacturing plant. Some of the most impressive damage to an industrial building.

View attachment 3381View attachment 3382View attachment 3383View attachment 3384
View attachment 3385
View attachment 3386
View attachment 3387
Finally, some before & after pics of the plant:

View attachment 3388

View attachment 3389
The car damage of Roanoke tornado was also quite intense and the video appearance of this tornado was impressive.
11-48-52-103_15264_0fe3dca9839c17a.jpg11-50-26-103_70458_026ce62b0747eb8.jpg

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
"Philadelphia style" is a reference to this:

This tornado struck areas near Philadelphia, MS during the April 27, 2011 Super Outbreak. These trenches were up to 3 feet deep in places.

Thank you. Now I remember that gouging was mentioned.

My jaw dropped when that one man jumped down into the hole!

The damage to the land in that video does remind me of images of liquefaction and lateral spreading (like the first one under "Cyclic Mobility" here, though those cracks paralleling the shore are something else related to earthquake effects; I just mean the whole area change).

In the video you shared, look at how sod clumps sit "high and dry," for instance, as though what was under them flowed away (and probably up and outwards in that situation).

Just because powerful tornadoes leave a muddy path doesn't mean that all came from rainwater -- could be from the soil, too, though I can't imagine how to test that.

This is complex, but I did find a reference for tornadoes transferring energy to the ground: perhaps non-seismologists could get access to the whole article through a university library?

Here's a list of papers that cited the above 2001 article, including a fairly recent one from the American Meteorological Society.

What do experts say about these effects from the Smithville EF5 (photos from this post)?

YvnCO6Q.png

8F7eLIt.png

Reaction score
Thank you. Now I remember that gouging was mentioned.

My jaw dropped when that one man jumped down into the hole!

The damage to the land in that video does remind me of images of liquefaction and lateral spreading (like the first one under "Cyclic Mobility" here, though those cracks paralleling the shore are something else related to earthquake effects; I just mean the whole area change).

In the video you shared, look at how sod clumps sit "high and dry," for instance, as though what was under them flowed away (and probably up and outwards in that situation).

Just because powerful tornadoes leave a muddy path doesn't mean that all came from rainwater -- could be from the soil, too, though I can't imagine how to test that.

This is complex, but I did find a reference for tornadoes transferring energy to the ground: perhaps non-seismologists could get access to the whole article through a university library?

Here's a list of papers that cited the above 2001 article, including a fairly recent one from the American Meteorological Society.

What do experts say about these effects from the Smithville EF5 (photos from this post)?

YvnCO6Q.png

8F7eLIt.png

All I can say about the Smithville tornado is that it's touchdown point and much of its initial path was just east of a man-made waterway, so possibly the soil was a bit looser due to being in close proximity to a body of water but ultimately I doubt it. This scouring occurred right after it reorganized itself and went multivortex, so likely it was from one of an intense suction vortex, much like the Philadelphia ground scouring.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Only in a few cases that a security camera can survive a violent tornado and here was some of them and the aftermath of the places that the camera was. These kinds of video had a full representation of how scray inside a violent tornado.
2008 Pakersburg IA EF5 First State Bank

I am very sure that the beginning of this video is some of the strongest wind Ihave ever seen in all kinds fo footage, TC or tornado.
aftermath: the bank was rated EF2
parkersburg-tornado-damage.png

2011 Joplin MO EF5 East Middle School

Joplin had several surveillance footage, this one in East Middle School probably the most famous one. It was rated EF2 with winds of 125mph
aftermath
103_15264_8afc7cab4c2f2d7.jpg
source:https://www.academia.edu/25105277/Performance_of_Concrete_Masonry_Buildings_in_the_Joplin_Tornado

2012 Henryville IN EF4 Henryville Junior-Senior High School

There were much more different angeles can be found in Youtube. Damge photo showed clearly multi-vortex pattern(the gym right-below of the image can be damaged by a sub vortex). Damage here was rated EF4 I believe.
aftermath
DSC_5648_med.jpg

2013 Washinton IL EF4

I don't know where this place excatly located and what's the rating of this house but certainly a scray video to watch.

2015 Rochelle IL EF4

Though not a security camera but easily one of the most scary tornado footage of all time, very sad that the man shot this video lost his wife.
aftermath:It was rated high end EF3
CfOr7AfUUAAKdoD.jpg
I once saw surveillance video from Moore Medical Center several years ago but can't find it now.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
I find I am a little confused about when was the real starting time of Jarrell TX F5 torando,
Based on this paper:https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/MWR3301.1
The starting time was determined at 20:25.
But based on NCDC, the starting time was determined at 20:40.
It may depends on whether this long roped and tilted feature tornado being classified into the beginning of Jarrell tornado

It has been mentioned in NCDC database that eyewitnesses indicated the damage path may not have been made strictly by one tornado. Also in this video, we can see that rope tornado at one time looked like it was going to dissipate. But after a very short time, the tornado came back again and there seems like it had a a small chance that the circulation was constantly on the ground during this period.

Reaction score
Alright so I got some impressive photos of damage done in Palm Sunday 1965.

Some photographs of damage done by the Dunlap tornado:

Dunlap 2.pngDunlap 3.pngsunnysie.jpg

Intense debris granulation near Sheridan, IN

Sheridan.jpg

Damage in Greentown:
Greentown.jpg

Mangled car near Pittsfield, Ohio

Pittsfield car.png

Damage at Crystal Lake, Illinois

Crystal Lake.jpg

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I doubt this is a controversial opinion but I think both Dunlap tornadoes, Coldwater, Toledo, and Strongsville were all probably F5 strength. All five completely swept away several well-built structures.

Reaction score
Might as well post this classic video of the Andover tornado going through McConnell AFB...these people caught it up close & personal as it was just beginning to go into multivortex mode. They really have no idea how lucky they are that they weren't completely engulfed by it:

Reaction score
Might as well post this classic video of the Andover tornado going through McConnell AFB...these people caught it up close & personal as it was just beginning to go into multivortex mode. They really have no idea how lucky they are that they weren't completely engulfed by it:

I work right over by where the Andover, KS tornado came through in 1991.

Back