• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
Anyone notice that MEG deleted all of their 2011 Smithville, MS damage pics? That is really unfortunate. That office never seems to be interested in photographing and documenting tornado events. Their summaries are always brief and vague, and they usually don't even post pics. It just seems that it isn't very important to them.

Thankfully I have like 30 pics of the EF5 Smithville damage saved. I can post them if you guys want to see them.

Yes please! I

Reaction score
The Piedmont tornado, in my opinion, is the scariest tornado i've ever seen. The motion of it was beyond violent, at some cases you didn't even know if it was a car or just sheet metal, houses we're completely swept away, and the tree damage is some of the worst i've ever seen.
Watching the Andover, Jarrell, Bridge Creek, and El Reno 2011 tornado as they all have extremely violent motion.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Smithville, MS EF5 damage. Note the Philadelphia-like scouring that occurred outside of down. Very deep trench digging occurred. Also note the scouring of lawn grass in the yards of several homes in town. The first and last pics are of the same house, which sustained the worst damage to a concrete slab foundation I've ever seen as a result of any tornado. Smithville was in my opinion, the most impressive of the 4/27 tornadoes in terms of damage.

Also , I have damage photo collections of every official EF5 since the implementation of the EF scale. Will slowly post them on this thread.

8gYoBhp.png

aKsiTVY.png

YhvCwBJ.png

eieGxPA.png

AQ2IfvB.png

07ntWuj.png

x0YDm9Z.png

ktjNwBi.png

0xn64cB.png

IAKUsoZ.png
dTnCxCs.png
qeGE9ek.png

rqopJGk.png

vDdo6Hg.png

n3rq9Vx.png

tGQWkXc.jpg

8F7eLIt.png

YvnCO6Q.png

qSzAnQP.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some more. The last two are of a very large, well-built brick funeral home that completely vanished at the east edge of Smithville.
igatNYi.png

7TziVK7.png

DkOQH1L.png

oSPiKcS.png

550TvRV.jpg
That Ford Explorer that was thrown 1/2 mile and hitting the water tower is crazy. It was additionally thrown another 1/4 mile and wadded up like how you would wad up aluminum foil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smithville, MS EF5 damage. Note the Philadelphia-like scouring that occurred outside of down. Very deep trench digging occurred. Also note the scouring of lawn grass in the yards of several homes in town. The first and last pics are of the same house, which sustained the worst damage to a concrete slab foundation I've ever seen as a result of any tornado. Smithville was in my opinion, the most impressive of the 4/27 tornadoes in terms of damage.

Also , I have damage photo collections of every official EF5 since the implementation of the EF scale. Will slowly post them on this thread.

8gYoBhp.png

aKsiTVY.png

YhvCwBJ.png

eieGxPA.png

AQ2IfvB.png

07ntWuj.png

x0YDm9Z.png

ktjNwBi.png

0xn64cB.png

IAKUsoZ.png
dTnCxCs.png
qeGE9ek.png

rqopJGk.png

vDdo6Hg.png

n3rq9Vx.png

tGQWkXc.jpg

8F7eLIt.png

YvnCO6Q.png

qSzAnQP.png
I'm pretty sure that ground scouring in those fields is still visible on google maps.

Reaction score
So, the Gans, OK tornado of January 22, 1957 is an interesting case, as it supposedly dug holes in the ground. I think what really happened is that the soil was wet due to melted winter precipitation which made this damage much easier to do. A really unusual winter event in Oklahoma.

gans1.jpg
gan2.jpg
gan3.jpg
gans4.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all familiar with this list. I find it interesting that his top two (Jarrell and Smithville) were on opposite ends of the forward speed spectrum. Lends credence IMO to the argument that they both would have been exceptionally violent and destructive even had they been moving at a more "average" speed.

skelly

Reaction score
To me a slower forward speed in some ways gives it the opportunity to inflict more severe damage, i.e. ground scouring.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Kelwood MB certainly doesn't get brought up enough, very little information online about that one but the ground damage is extremely interesting given its small size

Back