• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Brice Wood

Reaction score
One tornado I wished was at least a bit higher on the EF scale was magnum back in 2019, that was the only storm that was able to produce a EF4/EF5 tornado in terms of winds(I think). I think there is some pictures with having EF3 damage with it and if there is I’ll share them here

Brice Wood

Reaction score
Either I didn’t look hard enough or there are no pictures of it doing at least EF3 damage, if someone is able to find some pictures of the damage, I would love to see

pohnpei

Reaction score
One tornado I wished was at least a bit higher on the EF scale was magnum back in 2019, that was the only storm that was able to produce a EF4/EF5 tornado in terms of winds(I think). I think there is some pictures with having EF3 damage with it and if there is I’ll share them here
Some damage photos of this tornado:
I agree that this tornado was capable of EF4 damage. It was measured of 180mph by DOW at 200 AGL level. The range resolution was unknown. This winds was strong for this atitude( For most tornados, winds much higher can happen at low level than 200 m.) The last picture here was likely SBO building.
It also be mentioned in NCDC database that this tornado was likely stronger than EF2 level in the open field.
QQ图片20191024180057.jpgD7DDqnoW4AArwWm.jpgQQ图片20191024180029.jpgQQ图片20190523213316.jpg
QQ截图20210211103208.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
I always want to say that the scouring damage of Philadelphia EF5 was one of the most Incomprehensible and inexplicable damage in the history. It certainly help the tornado to attain EF5 rating and make it in the "one of the strongest in the tornado histroy list". But also, the continuity of this intense damage had some kinds of uncertainty based on the pictures can be seen. But lack of aerial photo, this was something that I am not sure of. There were debarking from these pictures, but just not that level that I would anticipate for this level tornado with this kinds of scouring. The trees and the whole environment nearby was also not very muddy which can be seen in every other strong scouring tornados like Jarrell or Moore. The damage of trees in the background of the photos was confusing as well. The guess of mine was that there was extremely strong downdraft or updraft winds(likely downdraft) at this point but not the horitonal winds. DOW3 once detected downdraft winds over 60m/s inside 1998 Spencer tornado and mentioned that far greater downdraft winds can occurred in the most extreme cases. So I would imagine that downdraft winds of the tornado in this place was like some kinds of electric drills cut deep into the ground. Anyway, winds given by EF scale was defined as horitonal winds inside the tornado .

Last edited:

Brice

Reaction score
Some damage photos of this tornado:
I agree that this tornado was capable of EF4 damage. It was measured of 180mph by DOW at 200 AGL level. The range resolution was unknown. This winds was strong for this atitude( For most tornados, winds much higher can happen at low level than 200 m.) The last picture here was likely SBO building.
It also be mentioned in NCDC database that this tornado was likely stronger than EF2 level in the open field.
View attachment 5936View attachment 5937View attachment 5938View attachment 5939
View attachment 5940
Wow that last picture seems to be for sure EF4 damage(Brice Wood is my 2nd account by the way) Don't know if there was anchored bolts but the house getting swept away definitely means there was EF3 plus winds at the surface.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Wow that last picture seems to be for sure EF4 damage(Brice Wood is my 2nd account by the way) Don't know if there was anchored bolts but the house getting swept away definitely means there was EF3 plus winds at the surface.
It was likely some kinds of SBO building which can only be rated EF0-EF2 in EF scale. Vegatation damage nearby was not severe.

buckeye05

Reaction score
That was likely an outbuilding or barn foundation. Structural damage to homes along the path of this tornado didn’t exceed EF2 strength, though like you mentioned, it was likely much stronger than that.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Mangum was the day of that absolutely apocalyptic environment that never took off across most of the high risk, so that day absolutely fully supported extremely violent tornadoes. The other big tornado of May 20th (aside from the giant after-dark wedge EF2) the EF3 near near Odessa, TX, left extensive ground scarring and apparently only hit oil field equipment, so it's very likely both big daytime tornadoes were very violent. Boggles the mind how historic that day could have been.

61463318_2273019682783005_7850648133401837568_n.png

Reaction score
Mangum was the day of that absolutely apocalyptic environment that never took off across most of the high risk, so that day absolutely fully supported extremely violent tornadoes. The other big tornado of May 20th (aside from the giant after-dark wedge EF2) the EF3 near near Odessa, TX, left extensive ground scarring and apparently only hit oil field equipment, so it's very likely both big daytime tornadoes were very violent. Boggles the mind how historic that day could have been.

61463318_2273019682783005_7850648133401837568_n.png

The day of my first and only Southern Plains chase, that made me swear off it forever. 1,200 mile, 17-hour (each way) marathon round trip to stare into murk toward what I knew was a supercell updraft base crossing US 62 just west of me (between Gould and Hollis, OK) but I couldn't see any definition or detail in the clouds at all. Then got trapped in a parade of hundreds of other cars all stuck hopelessly behind the storm.

Part of my mistake was, due to paucity of data availability for my carrier in the area, I assumed the day was still going to play out as originally anticipated (basically 4/27/11 but in the Southern Plains) and expected the storm would rapidly produce a tornado and maintain it on the ground for a long time, then cycle and produce another.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The day of my first and only Southern Plains chase, that made me swear off it forever. 1,200 mile, 17-hour (each way) marathon round trip to stare into murk toward what I knew was a supercell updraft base crossing US 62 just west of me (between Gould and Hollis, OK) but I couldn't see any definition or detail in the clouds at all. Then got trapped in a parade of hundreds of other cars all stuck hopelessly behind the storm.

Part of my mistake was, due to paucity of data availability for my carrier in the area, I assumed the day was still going to play out as originally anticipated (basically 4/27/11 but in the Southern Plains) and expected the storm would rapidly produce a tornado and maintain it on the ground for a long time, then cycle and produce another.
Yeah I'm still kinda reeling over 5/20 even from an armchair perspective, having most of a 95% all probs watch see partly cloudy skies and almost nothing in the open warm sector of one of the most violent parameter days the plains will ever see is hard to imagine. The chaser situation especially aggravating I can certainly imagine. Good for most of Oklahoma that didn't have to suffer a 5/3/99 on steroids, but from a met standpoint baffling.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Wow those color photos are impressive. Tupelo strikes me as what would have happened if Smithville had tracked through a bigger and more populated area when everyone was home. It also seems to have intensified as quickly as Smithville did, likely capable of doing EF5 damage within seconds of touchdown. Also, I saw a post or article one time that speculated that the F3 tornado that formed after this one and struck the Red Bay, AL area may actually have been the same tornado; it's definitely plausible and the post/article offered some pretty convincing proof. Anyways, it's hard to find good quality pics of Tupelo damage so your post is much appreciated.
Mom said her father went to help with this tornado after it hit and said there were probably more deaths but they were either not found and there was probably not an accurate count of the black people who were killed.

That description of the appearance of the oncoming storm was repeated by others saying they could not tell what it was.

Side note: I did some community theater in the old theatre there in Tupelo that was used as triage and morgue and it was supposed to be haunted. I can attest to the fact that there were some strange things that happened there and I wondered if other places with tornado deaths have haunting reputations

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

That storm was a monster. I wish the Smithville storm had been like this and dropped down on the north city limits because it too would have been in mostly unpopulated areas. Like another poster said earlier, I shudder to wonder what it would have been like if the Smithville storm had hit a more populated area.

This thread is cool beans.

Reaction score
Mom said her father went to help with this tornado after it hit and said there were probably more deaths but they were either not found and there was probably not an accurate count of the black people who were killed.

That description of the appearance of the oncoming storm was repeated by others saying they could not tell what it was.

Side note: I did some community theater in the old theatre there in Tupelo that was used as triage and morgue and it was supposed to be haunted. I can attest to the fact that there were some strange things that happened there and I wondered if other places with tornado deaths have haunting reputations
Yeah, many Dixie events likely have highly-underrated fatality counts as African-American fatalites were rarely documented by newspapers or doctors, and many people who succumbed to their injuries months later would likely not be followed up on. Really makes you wonder as to the true "deadliest" tornado in American (or world) history.
In terms of places hit by tornadoes that have reputations for being haunted, that's really interesting to think about. I'm not one to believe in the supernatural, but I do recall reading somewhere (I wish I could find the source) that supposedly some buildings in some of the towns in Illinois struck by the Tri-State tornado may have had reputations for being (these were locations that were used as makeshift morgues or hospitals) but other than that not sure. I do know that some tornadoes were considered divine punishment by African-American communities in areas that were well known for lynchings and the like.

andyhb

Reaction score
Probably a decent bet that the Tupelo tornado has the highest death toll for a tornado in a single city in US history and not the Tri-State tornado at Murphysboro.

Reaction score
Probably a decent bet that the Tupelo tornado has the highest death toll for a tornado in a single city in US history and not the Tri-State tornado at Murphysboro.
Yeah, it seems reasonable to believe that Tupelo likely had 250+ deaths in the city.

Last edited:

Robinson lee

Reaction score
I didn't see the amazing damage to cars and trees caused by Funing tornado, but now I'm wrong. This 2.5-mile-wide monster will peel off low trees, destroy vehicles, make them unrecognizable, cause incredible damage to power poles, and raise topsoil, which usually symbolizes the damage of ef4-5. Especially considering that the RMW of a tornado is larger and requires strong wind power, I think it is obviously the strongest tornado outside North America

Attachments

• 1abb8b75f67af68f.jpg
    1abb8b75f67af68f.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021_0214_194646.png
    Screenshot_2021_0214_194646.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 495CC8C08F24C8F1DA40BB1446E06E61.jpg
    495CC8C08F24C8F1DA40BB1446E06E61.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 83B55C668E11CE6B55738344DB52CFAC.jpg
    83B55C668E11CE6B55738344DB52CFAC.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 6F60373D7BC1CA766A96A42FD95D9E28.jpg
    6F60373D7BC1CA766A96A42FD95D9E28.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0

Tennie

Reaction score
Yeah I'm still kinda reeling over 5/20 even from an armchair perspective, having most of a 95% all probs watch see partly cloudy skies and almost nothing in the open warm sector of one of the most violent parameter days the plains will ever see is hard to imagine. The chaser situation especially aggravating I can certainly imagine. Good for most of Oklahoma that didn't have to suffer a 5/3/99 on steroids, but from a met standpoint baffling.

IIRC, at leat one of the factors that caused 5/20/19 to (thankfully) underperform was that the cap actually strengthened noticeably (the EML actually lowering in altitude) as the day wore on.

Yeah, many Dixie events likely have highly-underrated fatality counts as African-American fatalites were rarely documented by newspapers or doctors, and many people who succumbed to their injuries months later would likely not be followed up on. Really makes you wonder as to the true "deadliest" tornado in American (or world) history.
In terms of places hit by tornadoes that have reputations for being haunted, that's really interesting to think about. I'm not one to believe in the supernatural, but I do recall reading somewhere (I wish I could find the source) that supposedly some buildings in some of the towns in Illinois struck by the Tri-State tornado may have had reputations for being (these were locations that were used as makeshift morgues or hospitals) but other than that not sure. I do know that some tornadoes were considered divine punishment by African-American communities in areas that were well known for lynchings and the like.

That reminds me of something that Tom Grazulis wrote in one of his tornado books (can't recall which one offhand). He suggested, based on personal experience with researching and calculating tornado deaths, that historians looking to study the development of racial equality look not at the editorial sections of newspapers, but rather to the obituary sections (especially after a noteworthy deadly event); the idea is that one could get a reasonably accurate grasp of social progress by looking at the first appearances of nonwhite obituaries in newspapers and going from there.

Back