• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
It is very difficult to achieve that level of destruction to a downtown area of any modestly sized town, era notwithstanding (especially considering many buildings in these downtown areas in non-urban regions are of similar age). I mean look at Sulphur this year. That tornado was bad, but it wasn't even close to how complete the devastation is with New Richmond.

Mayfield? Also very bad, but still not as complete in terms of devastation. West Liberty KY is not even close.

Another frightening thought is that tornado tracking 35-45 miles further west, effectively erasing a section of Minneapolis/St. Paul and their suburbs.

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Thanks! Amazing work as always, I never realised how truly violent it was until now. Do you think it matches Tri-state?
In terms of peak intensity, absolutely. The Tri-State tornado was extremely violent in its own right, obviously, but it's the fact that it maintained that intensity (more or less) over such an absurd distance that makes it so unique. New Richmond was at peak intensity for less than 5 miles, but the totality of the devastation (including a downtown commercial area, as Andy said) is something very, very few tornadoes can match.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sorry for such a long wait, but it's finally here! For the 125th anniversary, the story of the most violent tornado of the 19th century:

Edit: Forgot to add, shout out to @HAwkmoon for slogging through the first half and offering feedback, even if I didn't end up having time to do much editing. Appreciate it!
I've always considered New Richmond to have been the Joplin or Moore of the 19th century. Pretty much as total of a wipeout as you can get in a densely populated area.

Congratulations on finishing the article BTW! Always enjoy reading your work.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
In terms of peak intensity, absolutely. The Tri-State tornado was extremely violent in its own right, obviously, but it's the fact that it maintained that intensity (more or less) over such an absurd distance that makes it so unique. New Richmond was at peak intensity for less than 5 miles, but the totality of the devastation (including a downtown commercial area, as Andy said) is something very, very few tornadoes can match.
“but the totality of the devastation (including a downtown commercial area, as Andy said) is something very, very few tornadoes can match.”

This is particularly not even because violent tornadoes aren’t strong enough to do so, it’s just that the extreme winds required to achieve that level of total deletion is very short lived in most tornadoes and therefore never hit those towns at peak intensity.

What complicates this further is how abruptly tornadoes can change in intensity. A tornado can go from ef2 to ef5 level in the matter of a few dozen yards.

This is why in so many cases the most violent damage from a tornado almost always is right before it enters or exits a town.

A good example of this effect is the rolling fork tornado, where the worst damage is before and after the tornado hit the area, and even inside the town you can see in the damage path that the middle of the town has relatively moderate damage in comparison to areas northeast and southwest.

Attachments

• 1718228482765.png
    1718228482765.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
west-of-manufacturer-s-bank-looking-E.jpg

nicollet-hotel-NW-corner-looking-ENE-edit.jpg
Okay, totally unrelated to to the tornado itself but the wannabe firearms nerd in me had to point out these two photos. Can't identify the first one but I'm fairly certain the second is a Springfield Model 1873. Springfield Armory made beautiful rifles, reminded me of my Soviet-made Mosin.

Aaron Rider

Reaction score
“but the totality of the devastation (including a downtown commercial area, as Andy said) is something very, very few tornadoes can match.”

This is particularly not even because violent tornadoes aren’t strong enough to do so, it’s just that the extreme winds required to achieve that level of total deletion is very short lived in most tornadoes and therefore never hit those towns at peak intensity.

What complicates this further is how abruptly tornadoes can change in intensity. A tornado can go from ef2 to ef5 level in the matter of a few dozen yards.

This is why in so many cases the most violent damage from a tornado almost always is right before it enters or exits a town.

A good example of this effect is the rolling fork tornado, where the worst damage is before and after the tornado hit the area, and even inside the town you can see in the damage path that the middle of the town has relatively moderate damage in comparison to areas northeast and southwest.
Just for the sake of curiosity, can anyone think of any tornadoes that did extreme damage in a town but relatively little outside of it?

Aaron Rider

Reaction score
Okay, totally unrelated to to the tornado itself but the wannabe firearms nerd in me had to point out these two photos. Can't identify the first one but I'm fairly certain the second is a Springfield Model 1873. Springfield Armory made beautiful rifles, reminded me of my Soviet-made Mosin.
They're both 1873s, you can tell because both have barrels extending past the end of the stock

The Army got to play around with the Krag by then but the state militias still had old 73s

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just for the sake of curiosity, can anyone think of any tornadoes that did extreme damage in a town but relatively little outside of it?
The 1951 WaKeeney, KS tornado came to mind. Embedded within a larger thunderstorm complex, it touched down on the north side of town and just EXPLODED in intensity, then lifted almost as suddenly after spending less than a mile on the ground. It killed five people and was rated F4.
FWOsSgcXoAA0oHc

Another Kansas tornado struck Hoisington in 2001, touching down just southwest of town and once again exploding in intensity as it entered the city limits. This event was also rated F4 as homes were leveled or swept away, trees were debarked, and vehicles were mangled. After laying waste to much of Hoisington, it immediately weakened to F2 intensity as it exited town, then never exceeded F1 intensity before concluding its five mile path.
af6c979c-7dbb-4184-ba3c-637c49915149-jpeg.27324

9dd52cb9-d242-4696-8d95-ddf696983848-jpeg.27328

1375.jpg

hoisington-tornado-destruction-path.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
I love the old trapdoor rifles. My friend's dad is a big collector and he had a Model and IIRC a Model 1888. Really cool.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sorry for such a long wait, but it's finally here! For the 125th anniversary, the story of the most violent tornado of the 19th century:

Edit: Forgot to add, shout out to @HAwkmoon for slogging through the first half and offering feedback, even if I didn't end up having time to do much editing. Appreciate it!
Wordsmanship as incredible as the tornado. This should get a Pulitzer prize and I encourage everyone to read it.

Jellyroll

Reaction score
That's clearly a typo. They must have meant to rate it EF-Mach One.
Cheese,
I agree, multiple typos!! I think the tornado wind speed should have been tornado speed since it went from Sumner ( in Lawrence country ) to Lawrenceville (also in Lawrence county) via Clay and Marion counties. Total round-trip distance ~175 miles - time on ground 10 minutes - average tornado ground speed 1050mph. This is one for the record books folks.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
I ended up finding the original photo of that cracked slab, not sure the location of the photo though. The person that posted this photo also has other incredible damage shots from Hackleburg and also Joplin.
0A0B84AC-018B-4FCD-BF36-F0C1678CBE05.jpeg

Here’s some additional Hackleburg images including the wrangler plant:
83853F61-6C77-4BF7-A6D7-4360A110D121.jpegB3858C22-22D0-4162-AC30-8195DD9C670C.jpegA2F41622-74E2-4301-89C4-17C114F69FF4.jpeg60AD659C-04DF-4654-85AD-783C7A19D112.jpegA0C9C694-CC29-476B-96BC-8D9E223882D5.jpeg97A18B43-3257-4221-A0D1-B220FEBA8ACC.jpegA4C2EC7B-D241-4DE5-B6B1-69D7A1AF0C8C.jpeg

pohnpei

Reaction score
What are some of the worst damage images from Hackleburg- Phil Campbell guys? Haven't seen many.
one particular area when tornado is approaching Hackleburg saw some of the worst damage of this tornado.
Aerial of this place
Image_1718319055434.jpg
ground pics
Image_1718319041627.jpgImage_1718319045400.jpgImage_1718319043284.jpgImage_1718319047355.jpgImage_1718319049475.jpgImage_1718319052447.pngScreenshot_2024-06-14-06-53-18-934_com.tencent.mobileqq-edit.jpgScreenshot_2024-06-14-06-54-07-899_com.tencent.mobileqq-edit.jpg
damage to this place can be seen near 2:50 in this video

Last edited:

Aaron Rider

Reaction score
Hey all

Regarding Worcester 53, some fellow on the comments of a YouTube says there was a multi-year study to determine if it was F5 or not, and that they determined they couldn't conclude one way or another. Is anyone familiar with that study?

Logo 468x120
Back