• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Dec 10th thread itself - but look at this crazy tree damage. I was not aware of these photos and maybe some of you have seen them, but the second pic in particular shows extreme tree damage. Just reminds us again how violent the tornadoes were on that day.

csx1985

Reaction score
Since it was the anniversary of 4-27, some pics were shared. I don't know if this has been posted, but it's a picture of the tornado just before it entered town. The photo was taken around North Brassfield in this area.

View attachment 20220

I don't know of any other similar photo.

View attachment 20221

ETA - When I first moved to Smithville in the 70s, I lived about 1/8th of a mile further south in this subdivision. It's strange for me to look at this photo since I've probably stood in the same spot so many times and remember watching so many storms come from the same direction as a kid. We moved, and my Mom still lives on the other side of town on Seminole Road, about 1 mile North of where this last tornado traveled. She said the clean-up in Amory is really slow because the government is not helping like they did when the Smithville F5 happened.
This is one of only a few know pictures of the Smithville EF5. I believe this is the only one I’ve seen that shows partially the base of this monster in its early stages.

It looks to be in the area where the trench-like ground scouring took place or where the first fatality occurred at a small apartment building. If that’s the case, the photographer would have been roughly a mile away having less than 60 seconds before being impacted by the tornado.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since it was the anniversary of 4-27, some pics were shared. I don't know if this has been posted, but it's a picture of the tornado just before it entered town. The photo was taken around North Brassfield in this area.

View attachment 20220

I don't know of any other similar photo.

View attachment 20221

ETA - When I first moved to Smithville in the 70s, I lived about 1/8th of a mile further south in this subdivision. It's strange for me to look at this photo since I've probably stood in the same spot so many times and remember watching so many storms come from the same direction as a kid. We moved, and my Mom still lives on the other side of town on Seminole Road, about 1 mile North of where this last tornado traveled. She said the clean-up in Amory is really slow because the government is not helping like they did when the Smithville F5 happened.
Just realized the building is the funeral home that was more or less disappeared by the tornado. Given the things rapid forward speed the area was likely struck within a minute of the picture being taken. The last moments of this building were captured right here. Incredible.

ciberbull

Reaction score
Just realized the building is the funeral home that was more or less disappeared by the tornado. Given the things rapid forward speed the area was likely struck within a minute of the picture being taken. The last moments of this building were captured right here. Incredible.
No it isn't, the funeral home is a completely different shape
1683301195105.png

i believe its this building on Brasfield lane
1683301232524.png

Reaction score
It did already ripped sightly off the steel walls of saferoom. Look close to the upper middle of the Picture. I can definitely imagine this steelwall can be entirely ripped off if tornado stayed a little bit longer in this place.
View attachment 20179
I have a feeling if a large piece of debris hit the corner of that door just right it likely would've ripped off. These guys are EXTREMELY lucky.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Here’s a two-part album of extreme damage photos from the May 24, 2011 El Reno EF5 tornado all taken from the Piedmont-Falcon Lake section of the path, where the tornado likely hit a secondary peak intensity. Some of the vehicle and contextual damage is among the most intense I’ve ever seen.

csx1985

Reaction score
Does anyone know where exactly in regards to Smithville this photo was taken? I’ve looked several times on Google Earth along hwy 25 but have had no luck. It’s labeled “Smithville Tornado” but no other information regarding exact location or photographer.
1A2877E4-D090-467F-83A2-CB6D990839DC.jpeg

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where exactly in regards to Smithville this photo was taken? I’ve looked several times on Google Earth along hwy 25 but have had no luck. It’s labeled “Smithville Tornado” but no other information regarding exact location or photographer.
View attachment 20378
It was after it went through New Wren and came over Cotton Gin Hill (which is very steep) on HWY @278. It dissipated crossed through the Tombigbee Bottom, over Hwy 6, and then Amory Lake on the Tenn/Tom Waterway.

This footage captures it crossing Lock A - Amory Pool the actual formation just South of Smithville. You can stand at Lock A - Amory Pool and easily see Lock B - Smithville Lock. It's only about 5 miles from Amory Lock A to the point it first hit the ground just South of town and entered the town.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The anniversary of a tornado that needs no introduction

Ground level view of impressive damage along West 26th Street, including the home that had a part of its poured concrete basement foundation snapped. Also note the impressive granulation and debarked tree in the front yard of the (also swept away) home the videographer is standing on, and what might be the remains of vehicles at around the 0:27 mark? Whatever the case, a pretty classic scene of EF5 damage here.

A few photos of the Pepsi distribution plant
joplin-pepsi-plant.jpg

joplin-pepsi-plant2.jpg

A vehicle folded in half at St. John's Regional Medical Center

Greenbriar Nursing Home. Of the 95 (85 residents and 10 staff) people in the building, 21 were killed.
5308_5765624530_c4982e3a92.jpg

519c0fd080d01.image.jpg

601fa5189a0299723d571c58bf9f7bfa.jpg

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
There’s also this blurry video that I’ve wondered if it’s location. The roar of the tornado moving away at its rapid speed is haunting.

I've watched this video several times. I don't know its location, but if I had to guess, it might be from one of the homes on the southern end of town in the fields on the East side of Hwy 25 where it entered the city. You can see one home that is destroyed in the foreground. I'm guessing this is the location because you can see the trees lining the West side of Lock Dam B and Lake on the Left side of the video. At this point, I think it's going through town, or it has left town and beginning its trip through Southern Itawamba County. You can hear the person spitting what sounds like some installation from the destruction of their home. It's pretty sad to me.

I wish I knew where this picture was taken. I know it's outside town, but I wonder where.

image.php.jpeg

Reaction score
wow! other than a few point-camera-at-tv recordings and tiny snippets, this highly-sought after full coverage has remained nonexistent until today.

As someone who works in local TV news, it should be known (and this may surprise some people) that TV stations aren't always recording their own air streams. We simply don't have enough storage capacity to do it, especially with a total of six channels over-the-air (our main channel with our NBC affiliation, and five subchannels).

We have a service that records web streams of all the channels that are kept for several days, primarily for reviewing what happened during any technical problems (so clients don't get billed for commercials that didn't actually air, for example). We can clip and save footage from these but the process is tedious and the quality isn't great.

We do have recordings set up to roll on all of our newscasts in-house, but anything such as long-form severe weather coverage that airs outside of normal newscast timeframes won't be captured unless someone remembers to manually start a recording when it begins; and sets it up to run long enough for the duration of the coverage (the default on our system is one hour).

Back